• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

2012 - A year in rubbish old cars

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

2012 - A year in rubbish old cars

Postby Barrett » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:00 pm

I don't really go in for new year's resolutions, but this time last year I made my first ever resolution: To do as much 'old car stuff' as possible, as a direct result of reading Seth's 2011 round-up and seeing how much I missed out on. Here's a little summation of the best bits of my year, recycling a load of photos you've already seen etc

The year started slowly, and it wasn't until March that I attended my first event. A very sodden Goodwood breakfast meet in the company of Seth, where I saw some silly plastic cars

A couple of weeks later Gary & I ran up to Brooklands for the annual Austin-Morris celebration. This was my first trip to the circuit, and naturally I had to stand on the top of the banking to soak up the atmosphere, so that's another 'must do' ticked off the list.

Probably my favourite image of the year....

After a lazy few months, they next 'big event' occurred in June, when Gary decided to buy a horrible old French car on the other side of the country. With absolutely no encouragement from me. at all.

Shortly afterwards, it broke

That meant transport to Bromley Pageant was beige and BL. My first Pag, and in terms of sheer size easily the most impressive event I've ever been to. Sadly our designated space remained empty

I stood in front of a car looking scruffy

and I saw lots of silly plastic cars...

including this horrible thing (ooh, foreshadowing!!)

July saw the Simca back in action, and a visit to an unusually-spelt motor museum for the first 'simply french' day. As the name implied, it was full of nasty forren muck

On the way home, the Simca broke again

The following week, in the fixed (again) Simca we headed to Wiltshire to sit in a field with some horrible men from the internet at the first, and probably last, Shitefest. Everything I like about old car forums with none of the rubbish.

At some point in the year we started regularly attending the monthly West Sussex Retro Rides meet. No pics for some reason, but here's one of the Maestro and RobT's Renault 25 en route to the pub, some time in the summer

After Shitefest, we geared up for what promised to be the event of the year, Classics on the Common at Harpendon. The Simca broke before we even hit London.

In August, I made perhaps the first truly impulsive decision in my life (ie, I only thought about it for 4 days before acting) and made a blind ebay purchase of an incredibly silly plastic car. This confirmed everything I thought about impulsive decisions.
I do still love it deeply though

Shortly afterwards, a trip to the big BL Spares day in Peterboghorror. Sadly it was a total washout and the turnout was tiny, although I got to catch up with several members of the Brown forum, which is always nice

This horrid French car was virtually the only thing I photographed

September rolled around and I finally dragged my arse down to the Brighton Speed Trials. It's absurd that this event is right on my door step and I've never been before. Brilliant stuff.

November's highlight was a full day of 'car stuff' starting with yet another incredibly miserable Goodwood breakfast club, and rounded off by watching some very old, very horrible old cars drive down a street (and break down, a lot)

December was dull and virtually empty, except for a pre-xmas get together at the local unit occupied by some safety-conscious* RR members, where we enjoyed a fine traditional dinner in the romantic surroundings of some absolutely shagged old motors

THAT'S IT!
Tonight is the WSRR meet, so 2 days into the year and I'm already attending my first 'event'. Hopefully that's indicative of an even more tat-filled 2013, including DEFINITELY driving the SPC, legally, on the road, without it exploding.
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Re: 2012 - A year in rubbish old cars

Postby Seth » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Nice summary! :)

I fear your optimism about driving the SPC this year but its good to have a dream. Hopefully you at least get to drive something old and dull.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Well you did more car stuff than I did. I did Le Mans with my dad in his Cortina, a day at the Goodwood Revival in my Anglia and RRG. Oh and the motorsports at Crystal Palace (which would have been a poor show if I'd missed because I lived within farting distance). I've moved now though, very close to Brooklands, so I'm hoping to get to there a bit more and since most of the car stuff I go to is on this side of the London I cut my travel time down significantly which makes it all a bit less painful.
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Great pics and words, and best of luck with your SPC target.
I wish I could get out and see rubbish old car congregations, but geography is against me. :(

Is Gary's Simca still laid up?
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby garycox » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Yeah it's still broken :roll:

It's with the R-R guys, I dropped it off in Novwmber... Latest update was that he's bought some parts and I think the engine's been removed, but not opened up yet. I've asked him to MOT it too as that's expired, dunno what it'll need for that.

I hope it's ready soon!! I keep nearly spending the repairs money (although I have no idea how much it'll cost) on buying another car.
MINIMUM JOY
garycox
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men