• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Newbie and new tailgate fodder

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Newbie and new tailgate fodder

Postby start » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:57 am

Hi everyone, a sort of refugee from the brown forum so not completely new, formerly known a STUNO, I have lowered my case and just become (up) start.
For some years a 1984 Rover SD1 has been my daily transport, but time came when something small and economical was required. So with help from " I love spending other peoples money" jon of this parish the purchase of the required transport was made, and today we travelled to the city by the bay across the hills to collect first prize , a 1990 Audi as below.

Complete with vintage carphone

It is dark blue not black

This is the seating from an A6
ImageImage
That's about that, it is not perfect, but servicing has been carried out more than religiously and at 175000 Km has a lot left to give, and when the drivers window is fixed it will be just what I needed, remember the words small and economical.
Tailgate Charlie, now I can join them up your rear and cutting you up. Oh how I will smirk !
Now it's up to someone to tell me just how bad one of these can be to me
1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Re: Newbie and new tailgate fodder

Postby I.K.Brunel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 am

Greetings and welcomings!

Looks like you have snagged yourself a deeply lovely small* economy* car there.
Certainly looks very fit for its years. A6 perches look right at home in there.

Looking forward to further contributions!
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:53 am

I love the 0 electrics towbar. And all the rest of the car. It looks SWISH and EXECUTIV.
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm

That has aged very nicely indeed. I'm curious about the numberplates, not seen any like that before.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby start » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Another day dawns, sunny and hot as they all are here.vulgalour, the answer to your plate dilemma is in the signature. ;) 0 electrics towbar will have to be investigated too, there should be electrics somewhere! As for economy...who gives a hoot about economy when one is enjoying the drive, apart from the shock at the cost of filling up from empty last night it seems that the consumption under normal use will be about half the Rover's. However I now have all day to find out about this beastie and get it properly clean . Oh and maybe drive it just a little bit :o
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:36 pm

That's beautiful, I love 1980s Audis. I remember Walt_Bo11ox used to have one of these, I think the mpg was surprisingly good and his was automatic IIRC.
How much horsepower do these have?
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:38 pm

start wrote: the answer to your plate dilemma is in the signature. ;)

Ah... right, now I understand. And there was me thinking Hobbits were made up.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby Jon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:34 am

Might as well have some photos of the collection. Here's what we spotted in the 45 minute trip over the hill:

Wednesday afternoon looks like a busy time for interesting tow combos:

Breaking my own rules saying I didn't deem these Civics as worthy of spotting but what the hell.

Thankfully this angle mostly blocks the inappropriate wheels. A long-term import judging by black plates and LHD.

The 200 was on the opposite side of the street to the Colt and this was our first view, post test drive the week before.

Then onwards to a different part of town to drop off the SD1 to a half-way house owned by a serial Rover hoarder

One of the many garages on site:

Back at chez Jon. Seems that I'm a bit partial to the 200's full width reflective rear end, so have another shot since it's made its way to my Photobucket account:

Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby start » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 am

A shakedown cruise at the weekend gave no suprises. The trip was 623 km, about 50/50 flat straight fast roads and steep winding hills with panicky tourists who thought 20kph was scary. The biggest suprise was filling up tonight, the gauge was showing just under 1/2 so after the Rover that had to be f***ing impossible and I was a disbeliever. 41.78 Litres later I was A believer, that is 14.9 kpl or 37.8mpg. Only 1 fill and very little town running, but that is bloody good. the window has been repaired, the cable had come adrift from the window, so no expensive bits needed, result!
And it is very quick when asked, I love it.
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby start » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 am

Time to forget shakedown cruises, this baby is about to be driven.
So far the Audi has proved absolutely reliable. So I am off for a bit of a Saga. Next Wednesday I am off to the deepest south by a roundabout route, 7 hours to get to the ferry to South Island then a zigzag trip to the very end end of that island. Think of the fast flat canterbury plains, mountain passes over the Alps and all the in between bits, I am looking forward to enjoying the ride, but will Audi, is it up to this? We shall see !
AA cards to the ready :roll:

Edit, reply to Leonard Hatred re powah. I am not sure but read somewhere 200bhp. but whatever it is the thing is very quick and exciting !
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Next

Return to Bitter Men