• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Goodwood Breakfast Club - 'Tax Free'

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Goodwood Breakfast Club - 'Tax Free'

Postby Seth » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Right, so I'm a bit peeved with Photobucket as my photos are all jumbled up making this a more difficult task than it should be. So rather than stick up a normal kind of show thread here's several shots of a few of the highlight cars.

I had been taking photos of many of the cars as they came in so after a while doing that I walked up the spectator banking on the main straight to get a general view. Hang on a minute, that Lotus looks familiar.

I have probably mentioned it or posted photos of it on here before. It is owned by an old college friend of my dad's but I've never actually got a chance of seeing it properly up close before.

He's owned it since around 1967.

Prototype version of anti down the neck draught excluder for his wife.

Was nice to be able to catch up with him again.

NSU Prinz was a cute surprise. The photos certainly got the Female Excitement Quotient (or 'FEQ') pretty high once I got back home.

This looked stunning as it drove in.

I made a point of hunting it down later on. POINTY.

This pair of Facels were I think owned by one family.

Right, that'll do for now. More later/tomorrow I expect.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: Goodwood Breakfast Club - 'Tax Free'

Postby Seth » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Oh go on then. I'll treat you to some more. In no particular order obviously. I realise it won't really bother you but I do normally like to post stuff up in chronological order, as it happened, so to speak. Helps nudge my memory for details that might not be there in the photo.

Normally this gravelly area gets used for interesting/expensive cars or those with grumpy owners that might not quite make the cut for the theme. This time it was rammed full of pukka old chod.

Oxford made me laugh for its interior detailing.

While on Farinas...

Latin heaven.

Marina some how made the cut. I think the owner was the only person I later saw polishing their car.

SQUINTY

Ooh, Lowlight Tourer. Top of the Minor money tree I'd guess?

Insert normal reference here>

SPC was way out by the airfield.

Triumph Chairman Ltd Edition.

BMC Luxo Barges made a nice pair.

Normal Farina ownership demogrpahic. Well, its either that or the rigger boots.

Jazz hands.

French entrance was missing a Simca :(

HA HA. Stop laughing. It wasn't funny.

All teh Mirrorz. (and the odd LED lights)

This was a proper job. Very cool indeed.

Exactly how I'd like one.

Look out! Best Sixties cars coming!

I felt sorry for the owner of this who was quizzed as to whether it was a tax free one.

This must now be worth at least one million pounds now after that US auction.

I don't care what you think, this is a cool car and no mistake.

Best angle for this early Alpine. That line is just straight from half way along the front wing to the tip of the fin.

This was the most unhappy looking car I saw all morning. I nearly cried.

This P1800 has quite boring wheels and was also driven frustatingly slowly up the A283 on the way home. So much so that the MG Magnette (proper not Farina) in front of me got fed up and overtook, followed a couple of miles later by me. Hopefully we made the point to the large convoy of bikes behind me that not all old car owners pussy foot around.

Right, that wasn't so bad. I'll end on this Topolino.

There's 235 photos altogether if you want to go and browse through them.
http://s198.beta.photobucket.com/user/sethke/library/Classics%2013/GoodwoodBC0313
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Wow, Westie wagon must be worth some serious coin (and kudos at Pre-68, which if it hasn't been mentioned before, is COMING)
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Paul H » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 pm

That Elan looks well used, but in a good way. So much nicer to see than a shiny one, and what great history 8-)

Ref the light coloured Swedish rolling roadblock - I can understand & sympathise when it is something like an Austin 7 (or other equally anti-socially low powered pre-war stuff), but that sort of thing really annoys me when it's a car like that, as they are more than capable of comfortably keeping up with fast road traffic conditions, especially with the grippier tyres that those wider wheels would be wearing.... :evil: :roll: However the green one with the same wheels has been tweaked quite a lot and is I gather driven properly :twisted:

Oh, and I like the different writeups for different locations :D
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Jon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 pm

A great set of photos again, Seth. That first Alfa has incredibly jewel-like styling cues and proportions, almost as if it were more of a convenience that you can can actually get into it and drive it than a necessity. + 2 also on the annoyance of capable cars being driven painfully slowly; it's no fun holding others up, so I'm not sure why people do this. I've no big ego which sees me wanting to get ahead of everyone, rather just enough space on the road to make progress at a constant pace.
Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Nice write-up and nice set of pics. What is this nice piece of machinery that I would like in my life?

Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Jonny69 wrote:Nice write-up and nice set of pics. What is this nice piece of machinery that I would like in my life?

http://www.sebringsprite.com/speedwell.html

Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Very pleasing set of photos.
I too like the rough Elan and the gothic Facel Vegas especially.
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men