• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Gaydon Spring Classic

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Gaydon Spring Classic

Postby Seth » Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 am

There was a problem in the Seth household. We had to find a reason to be out for the day so naturally we looked to see what was going on in the old car world. After hunting around all the reasonably close race circuits and not really come up with any close by classic shows I had a look to see what was going on at Gaydon. Aha! An all-comers 'Spring Classic' with reduced entry to the museum for those sensible enough to drive up in an old car. I think its nearly four years since we last went (for the RR Gathering that was there) and I didn't really look around the museum that day either so it was a good excuse to have a better nosey inside again.

Upon arrival we were greeted by a sea of Auntie Rovers. Loads of 'em! There was also a large group of modernish Mercs and a whole bunch of Metros (will never be a classic!) You might have seen some of the picks of the day via BMC_Dan on the Beige, who we spent most of the time wandering around with.

FWD best for traction.

Fully accessoried up old Vauxhall. Made a change from the usual PA Rock and Roll mobile.

Yeah, Metros. Lots of them.

I think this had a later/bigger engine.

This bloke had put his in the wrong/right way round.

There was plenty of grim too though.

This looked very smart on those wheels.

Stonkingly clean. Do like the early hub caps/trim ring combo.

Perfect for IKB. Old Landrovers...

...and a folding bike!

Another interesting PV Volvo. Dan had got the low down from the owner - only a couple of hundred produced by a Swedish coachbuilders. I though the bed looked much later and rather home-brewed but a quick Google last night seems to indicate that it closely resembles what they originally came with.

Is the big L normal? If so, anyone know why?

Good* colour choice.

Getting into the Rovers now.

Mr Barrett needs this as his first car. Dan described it as 'child molester' spec. Not that I'm suggesting there is a connection there.

Dan had noticed the pillar treatment on this. The vents were functional so I suggested that perhaps it was part of a 'fresh air' conversion along with the roof.

A bloke selling models appeared to use this to transport them. Mr Lobster please take note. I expect to see a stretched Renault 4 at the next show.

Right, so this was the crux of the matter.

So many P4s! Along with the few P5s and P6s I reckon there could have been nearly a hundred old Rovers. Sorry, but I'm not captioning them all. The one thing that really struck me was how dull all the colours are. Almost all are so understated. Wouldn't want to rock the boat! Only one that really stood out was the Marauder.

There was also a gathering of Vivas. to add a bit of colour back in.

So then we went for a wander round the museum but I think I might put my photos from inside in a separate topic. On coming back outside I took a couple more snaps before heading home.

We overtook this Stude on the M40 later on. Looks like a retro/cartoon spaceship among modern traffic. There was muich excitement to see the propeller spinning at hight speed.

Tasty early V8.

That is all.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: Gaydon Spring Classic

Postby tone_depear » Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 am

I've looked at a LOT of PV Volvos on google image search and I've not seen one with an L on the bonnet that looks like it's home made from bird shit and chewing gum.

This leads me to reckon that one's home made or something.

http://www.skandix.de/en/installationpictures/Volvo-PV-P210/front-view/2000051/

LOVELY though.
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men