• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Spending other people's money (Part II)

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Spending other people's money (Part II)

Postby Jon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:40 pm

If you run out of funds/space when it comes to old cars, what to do? Live vicariously through others, that's what!

Part one of this activity saw me play a role in getting start of this forum to buy this:

Since then, neither my driveway space or bank balance have magically expanded (especially since buying the Visa) but I do have a cousin interested in dipping his toe in the cla$$ic (urgh) car market over here, so there's been a long-term look out for what he's wanted. He had a particular model in mind and has a strong engineering background so isn't averse to working on cars as a hobby; probably the defining factor behind why he still owns a lightweight Land Rover back in Scotland.

As luck would have it, there was a fire the other day two towns away (bear with me on this one) which our brigade was called out to. I took our diesel Chevy support van out to the call and noticed a car of interest on the way with a for sale sign - without the call, I wouldn't have seen it. Fortunately the fire was controlled quite quickly and we were soon on our way back to base. Slowing down in the town where the car was sitting, we managed to spot the phone number as we passed, so I called straight after we got back to station. I managed to speak to the wife of the owner, who said her husband was likely to be knocking around the car in case anyone was interested in it (he's retired). Unfortunately he wasn't around after going for a gander, so I called back and organised to visit later that day. As had happened before though, plans were dashed 5 minutes before leaving when the fire siren went off again. Bugger!

Next day though I managed to catch the owner (asleep in his wife's Mazda 323) at the selling spot. Here's what I went to see:

Yes, that is tow bar electrics!

What ensued over the next two and a half hours was a test drive round town (after I'd learnt how to press the brake pedal without mashing the accelerator), interspersed with a tour of a storage shed with these parts:

And this (all included in the sale!):

Before heading back to his house to look at a few more bits stashed away, then a corned beef sandwich, slice of cake and coffee whilst we chatted things over. By now I was getting life stories which was all very fascinating but admittedly took a little time to explain, as the owner had suffered a stroke debilitating the right side of his body, hence the sale. What I discovered though was that he'd suffered a stroke in 1984, 12 years before he bought the 500! Still doesn't stop him operating 3 pedals with one left foot, which I later experienced first hand; the jury's still out on how much control was demonstrated as we headed down hill approaching a T-junction before turning left but we made it through unscathed! Suffice to say, I was sold on it and so was my cousin. I reckon we picked up a bargain at $5000 for a roadworthy RHD 500 with numerous spares, so wasn't even tempted to haggle unlike others who'd shown 'interest'.
Jon
IAN McSHANE

Re: Spending other people's money (Part II)

Postby tone_depear » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:54 pm

:shock:

That's fabulous!
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Great story :) That's the best sort of car purchase experience, relaxed, friendly and a good deal too.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:43 pm

BrillZ!

a lovely, lucky find and an interesting history.

(hoping 'Er Indoors doesn't see this and get all jealous)
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Jon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:33 pm

I agree about the purchase experience Seth, it was nice and relaxed and I learnt a bit about the owner's past car history, including this little gem which should get a certain obscure periodical employee hot under the [nylon] collar:

Apologies for low qualz photos of photos. I know what it is since I was told, though do you know this one, Barrett? Top marks if you do, as there's scant information on the 'net it seems.

I picked it up yesterday and the journey home was in torrential rain, which it took in its stride. The alternator conversion helps I reckon, as it doesn't seem too concerned with lights and wipers at the same time, though the idle speed does drop a bit. Here's it is basking at Jon Towers:

Cat seal of approval.

Not taken the opportunity to test out the tape player but the amount of disconnected wires tells me it'd be futile anyway.

Today was not so fruitful. After a good start (Commodore passed WOF first time) I ventured to a mate's farm to check out a mystery new object I'd apparently find of interest. Going past the fire station, I began climbing a hill when it became apparent that it didn't seem interested in partaking in such a venture. Down hill it faired better but still not good, so a very slow limp home saw me tending to the computer to try and find answers regarding general lack of progress from various forums. Sadly most were banging on about current model diesel 500s but eventually I managed to waste an hour further confusing myself before finally deciding to just get out in the garage and just check the bloody thing out. Seems it's quite advantageous to have both HT leads connected to the spark plugs! Can't believe it managed to fare so well on only one cylinder and also that I didn't hear that something was wrong let alone anything else. For all your mechanical maladies, come to Garage Jon...

Anyway, I eventually got to see my mate's latest buy, this rather down-at-heel caravan which he's in the process of doing up:

A bargain (no, really) at a mere $2900!

Finally, a little trip to the end of our street:

Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby start » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:03 am

Top buying Jon. Those Fiats sell for very strong money these days. Does the beige ? one come with it ? That is an early one and may be very sellable.
Will it be driven to your cousins place, or trailered in a sensible fashion ? Oh how I wanted one when they were new ! but schoolboys are not financial , only dreamers. I will be there for a sit and a dream shortlly.
1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Jon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:56 am

Yeah start, 5 big ones is major league player money in my books but mere pin money in classic [wash my mouth out] circles, so I reckon we got a good deal in respect of that. The yellow one does indeed come in the deal, along with all the other stuff pictured plus a few more bits to boot. My cousin asked whether I'd be up for driving it down to his with Mrs_Jon taking a support vehicle which would be a laugh I reckon, though it's probably more likely that him and my uncle will come up with a trailer to scoop away the spares and drive back in convoy. Having a look on carjam though, it seems probable that it's on its second trip around the odometer and it's calibrated to mph rather than km/h, so it looks likely to have travelled over 170000 miles :shock:

Anyway, pop over some time soon and take a gander at our 3 car garage!

Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby start » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Put a couple of red lights on the roof and use it for fire calls :P , also knock a small hole through to the workshop and it will fit in there. Then the commodore can get back in, 4 car garage !
1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby garycox » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:19 pm

What's the 3 wheeled thing then?
MINIMUM JOY
garycox
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:38 pm

I'd not heard of that Carjam site before, it's really handy! I've been checking all of the NZ plates on this thread.
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Next

Return to Bitter Men