• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

"She'll do half an hour in 20 minutes"- a very silly weekend

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

"She'll do half an hour in 20 minutes"- a very silly weekend

Postby Barrett » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:29 pm

So, last weekend I went to Monthlery in a 1922 Peugeot and absolutely nothing went wrong*

Customary pre-journey shot, everybody was filled with optimism at that point. That's Robin, ex-custodian of the Woodie looking particularly pleased with himself....

....we made it as far as Hassocks (about 20 miles from base) before something went bang. The exhaust had blown its gasket and parted company from the manifold, losing a bolt in the process. Robin tied it together with a bit of wire and we drove like that for the rest of the way with no hassles at all, albeit slightly less compression than was ideal.

After rendezvousing with the rest of our party for dinner we headed onto the boat and drank coffee until we couldn't keep our eyes open any longer, then attempted to sleep while a group of insufferable French children did laps of the lounge shouting at full volume for the rest of the night. The 4:30am landing was utter misery, it was freezing and wet and everybody was pissed off, so I didn't even consider taking any photos for several hours

The Peugeot is quite small

After several stops and an exceedingly disgusting lunch of turkey curry (don't ask) we finally arrived at Monthelry on Friday afternoon, about 24 hours after setting off, only 4 of which were spent on the boat.

the quality of The Automobile's gazebo is legendary

After pushing the Pug into the tent we all piled into the Woodie and retired to our hotel for a well deserved shower and many, many beers.

The following morning, we arrived just in time to see the the first groups going out for their runs on the track. Each group had 4 runs over the weekend and were divided by engine size. This lot were likely of the slightly larger capacity...

Our stand was directly next to the entry to the circuit so everybody going for a run lined up right outside us, we barely needed to leave the comfort* of the gazebo to have a look at everything

It wasn't all million pound exotics of course. Some made do with less horsepower (yes, he did take it round the circuit)

More anon...
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Re: "She'll do half an hour in 20 minutes"- a very silly wee

Postby Leonard Hatred » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:45 pm

It sounds like the trip in the silly small car went well.
The Woodie Breadie is glorious.
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Barrett » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:46 pm

I thought Seth would enjoy this little Grafton, built recently from a period book called 'How to Build Your Own Cyclecar' - Authentic right down to the cable and bobbin steering

Of course, you could let somebody else do the hard work and buy one ready-made. This was a proper pedal-powered Velocar that was being used as a pit runabout for this guy and his grinning offspring

Voisin were one of the featured marques, along with Amilcar, and there was a huge turnout of incredibly impressive machines there, all equally gorgeous

At the other end of the scale was this line-up of three baby Simcas

I've never come across a Rally before, but there must have been about half a dozen in attendance

No idea what this thing was, but I loved the roll-up canvas engine covers to match the stretched fabric bodywork

Another mystery car, this was in our class and we actually overtook it on our run, though it was a bitter victory as it was in the rpocess of breaking down at the time. The bonnet is all for show, it's running a tiny V-twin in the Morgan style, hidden just behind the radiator

Sleeping beauties are evident at any old car event, no matter how prestigious

Incredible four stroke prop-driven Simca bike had many scratching their heads

This beautifully turned out Merc transporter was sadly the only period-ish support vehicle (barring the heroic Fiat 500 estate/Austin 7 special on trailer combo). Fully stoked out in the back with a selection of fine Belgian beers.

In the punter's car park this lurid Chenard-Walcker stood out. More than a hint of Traction about it?

This was the highlight of the cheap seats, an immaculate early Dyna in my favourite old-car colour. I have gone some way to convince my boss that we need one of these for the Oily Rag collection, so watch this space...

Oh yeah, there is also some banking there.... terrifying angles at work, hat's off to the chaps tearing around the very top, and there were a few who did

more tomorrow...
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:09 am

Brilliant. A pleasant end to today, reading that.

The little Grafton was at the Revival last year but I didn't have time there for a proper look at it.

I'd love to have been able to see the Voisins. I don't recall there being any at Retromobile?

And congrats on such an excellent road trip. :)
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:58 am

Most impressive on all fronts. That canvas bodied thing looks a bit like a blimp on wheels, it's brilliant, it also looks vaguely familiar, as though I might've read an article on it back in my pre-internet days.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Excellent write-up. I've had to wait a few days until I got some time away from the work firewall where the pics are blocked (photobucket?)

I love the little cyclecar. I can't remember what it was I was looking for at the time but I stumbled across this page about them: http://www.oldwoodies.com/gallery-cyclecars.htm
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men