• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Scorpio 24v estate. It works!

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: Scorpio 24v estate. My name is Bobbin Threadbare....

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Sun May 12, 2013 5:22 pm

I agree. Reading this and enjoying it without thinking "why is he bothering?" makes you a car enthusiast.

Spending all week fixing an 18 year old ford with zero street cred and no resale value just because I can makes me a bit of a mentalist. :mrgreen:
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Postby Jonny69 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 am

*Keeps coming back to check on progress*

#j69sadcase :D
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Hirst » Mon May 13, 2013 7:18 pm

Scorpios are great, if you have to wonder why someone would make the effort to get one on the road, you don't deserve oxygen I reckon.
Hirst
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Loom is now done! :D
Camera is still at work! :roll:

Next job - fit loom to estate. Tomorrow will be filled with curse words as I try to remove the exhausts without snapping/breaking anything! :mrgreen:
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Amazo » Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 pm

No pics? Boo. I wanted a wire-by-wire play! :D
Amazo
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Mon May 13, 2013 9:44 pm

I have lots and lots of them! Pics help you remember which wire is which after you wrapped the tail up and go to attach to the harness. I realized while looking through that I would be filling my flickr account with near identical pictures of wire though. Tomorrow will have some pics, I think I'll step through exactly how awkward this loom is to get at on the car.
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 pm

Here's my afternoon as a gif. I'm saving on flickr space :lol:
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Barrett » Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Terrifying and brilliant in equal measure. Three thumbs up.
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Fri May 17, 2013 8:52 pm

Friday evening update!

About 3 this afternoon, I started (with help from Ozzy jr) to remove all the underside gubbins necessary to free the loom from the gearbox. Exhaust, heatshields, propshaft, two braces and the gearbox crossmember later I can get a hand over the box and the loom freed from its clips.

Back in the engine bay, off comes the aux belt and tensioner so I can get at the clips holding the front section in place. Sometime around 5 ish I chopped the old loom in half so I didn't have to remove the waterways and hauled it out. Its even more knackered than the other one was.

Fast forward to about 7, car is back together and ready to start.... it doesn't. Plugged the coilpack in :roll: and it tries, but backfires and won't stay running. I've got the coil order wrong. The other engine is already in bits, and BOA engines have a different coil order. COCK. We packed up, and went and got pizza and beer.

I know what the order is now, I looked it up on autodata. Tomorrow is startup day!
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Sun May 19, 2013 6:29 pm

JUST FOR THE RECORD - I didn't get the coils wrong. The engine had a massive air leak (and a small water leak too). First I plugged in the servo pipe I'd forgotten the other day, then I re-seated one of the hoses at the front which was hissing. I also changed the jubilee clip on the top hose to stop it dripping.

All of which improved things a bit - it sort of ran but lumpy sounding and stalls after about 20 seconds. I could still hear a hiss though.... I checked all the vac pipes (there are many) to no avail and eventually tracked the hissing noise to the injector rail. SOOOOO

I found one of the injector seals lying in the inlet valley. I think tomorrow I'll be getting some new seals (and an o ring or two) before re-re-assembling the inlet manifold.
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

PreviousNext

Return to Bitter Men