• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Scorpio 24v estate. It works!

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: Scorpio 24v estate. What fuel crisis?

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Amazo wrote:
Ozzy Mandeus wrote:the same windscreen as a mk3 granada.

Should do; it's the same as the early bustle-back ones.

huh? :?:

Today! There is no obvious damage on the bits of loom I can see, all the multiplugs are clean as a whistle. After lowering the exhausts and removing the heat shielding you can almost* see the gearbox plug.

It's the blue thing hiding behind the exhaust in the bottom left of the pic. That's after I spent 20 minutes unplugging it!

While I was under there, I changed the VSS because there was one in an envelope on the back seat.

Not quite as bad as the front plug, but still awkward. Made absolutley no difference to the fault too. Oh, and ABS and Traction control have added themselves to the dash lights (maybe because I tested the gearbox on the ramp...) and you can hear random clicking from the fusebox and several engine solenoids with the ignition off and the key out. The fan runs randomly with everything off too. This *MAY* be where the battery power goes at night. It's all pointing to loom death but I need to run continuity checks between ECU and Gearbox plugs before going down that road. It isn't an easy loom to change, and requires the engine and box removed from the car, and the inlet manifold off the engine as well.

I need an assistant for that bit (can't be inside AND underneath at once you see) so it's waiting for tomorrow. This is the current state of play, including my state of the art diagnostic system. There were several gearbox/sensor/voltage faults recorded..... Passenger seat is out to save my back from trouble while lying in the footwell testing the wires.
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Postby I.K.Brunel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Cripes, that sounds like a right nightmare to sort out / rewire. Good luck!
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Luckily* I have plenty of experience (both of electrics and granadas) and all the tools to do the job. Shame it's such a git for access!
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Amazo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:37 am

It's a sad fact that a lot of cars go to the grave because people are too stupid/tight/thick to sort out problems. By rights, this car should have been raped for it's engine and/or bangered. I'm glad it hasn't been. Bravo sir. Image
Amazo
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Amazo wrote:It's a sad fact that a lot of cars go to the grave because manufacturers make them too complex for the common man to sort out without geting tigerbummed for his life savings....

EFA.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Amazo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 pm

I.K.Brunel wrote:
Amazo wrote:It's a sad fact that a lot of cars go to the grave because manufacturers make them too complex for the common man to sort out without geting tigerbummed for his life savings....

EFA.

Also applies to 'our' sort of stuff as well; cars getting scrapped for want of simple MOT work like two tyres and a pair of track rod ends. I've seen this.
Amazo
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Re: Scorpio 24v estate. My name is Bobbin Threadbare....

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:30 pm

Right then! Wiring connectivity test reveals that

a/ some wires do not reach the destination plug
b/ other wires are cross-connected and reach 2 pins when they should only feed 1
c/ a 12v feed is remaining live when it should quit with the ignition.

All of which (and some obvious cracking/insulation failure on bits of loom around the VSS sensor) means LOOM DOOM AND GLOOM and tomorrow sometime we might start removing bits from both cars to get at the "spare" harness currently living on the S reg saloon.
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Can you not just piggyback some new wires in place of the ones that aren't running where they should be?
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Urgh! Do you know that the 'spare' harness is OK?
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:30 pm

J69 - I could, IF I could get at the plugs with a soldering iron (I can't). Also if some have failed now, the rest won't be far behind and I only want to do this once.

Seth - Yeah, spare harness is from a '98 car, only 95-96 models have the crappy insulation. Also, that car had no faults at all until I loaned it to autofive for the day.
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

PreviousNext

Return to Bitter Men