• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Last Month's Daily, Next Week

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Last Month's Daily, Next Week

Postby Barrett » Tue May 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Scrubbing bogs in Brighton is great and everything, but when I got offered a slightly better job scrubbing wire wheels in Surrey I jumped at the chance. One problem: No license, and no car, so no way to get there. The first part was relatively painless, albeit long-winded and costly, to acquire. The second, far less so.
I knew I wanted something incredibly basic, pre-1960 (in keeping with the car park ethos at work) and on a very tight budget. £1000 was my absolute limit if I wanted to be able to run the thing as well, which somewhat limited my options. I idly considered Morris Minors, but pre-'60 examples in anything approaching decent nick were out of my price range. I made some inquiries about a mid '50s Hillman Minx, but I wasn't really too enthusiastic about it was was relieved when it sold before I had a chance to view it. The car I kept coming back to, mainly due to the sudden influx of hot examples popping up on Retro Rides, was the Standard 10. Unloved and generally forgotten by most people (an obvious bonus), with a reputation for plodding reliability and values considerably lower than most of their peers it seemed an ideal choice. A couple of afternoons spent browsing the classifieds revealed a fair selection in my price range, most of them a little rough and only one or two in what seemed to be very good condition, which naturally sold before I had a chance to pounce.
An offhand remark on Facebook about my newfound desire got a response from Andy Hardcore of the blue forum. His Dad was selling a 'very nice' Standard 8 with a bunch of spares - at a low price of £1000 if it went to a good home. I went to have a look and the thing was even better than I hoped for. Apart from a respray a few years ago and some very minor welding in the distant past, it was totally original and had been with the same owner for 40 years before Fatha_Hardcore got his hands on it - his first car was an 8 and he fancied trying one again, but found the performance and general crudity annoying for anything other than pottering to shows so it saw very little use. I gave the car one of the most cursory inspections of all time and agreed I'd definitely have it on the condition I passed my test....
A few weeks passed, and so did I, so I was quickly on the 'phone to arrange collection of my new 'sensible daily'. The insurance was sorted in a shockingly painless fashion and last Thursday afternoon I made the epic trip to West Worthing to pick it up, with Garycox in tow to provide moral support.

After the usual formalities and a nice cuppa, Fatha_HC gave me a quick run down on the starting and driving procedure. Naturally, I stalled it getting it off his drive.
Shiny!

With a certain amount of trepidation we crawled into the Worthing traffic and promptly went the completely wrong direction, necessitating a 3-point-turn over a mini roundabout as I came to terms with the heavy steering and poor turning circle. Luckily, the frankly ridiculous looking car and it's confuddled occupants received only wry smiles from the three lanes of traffic we held up without even the threat of a honked horn. My first taste of the patience and good humour of other road users when faced with an erratically driven but characterful car.
Back on the road home, we hit a pothole going over a roundabout - no room to avoid it- and an almighty CLUNK emanated from the rear end. I hoped it was something trivial like the backbox coming into contact with the tarmac and carried on regardless. A quick detour to pick up a tyre in Shoreham and then on home, without a chance to look over the car as I had to rush to work.

Leany!

Back home at Barrett Acres, a quick look underneath revealed possibly the worst case scenario: A snapped leaf spring. I'm guessing these aren't off the shelf in Halfords.
Snappy!

Sadly, this has put an end to my 1950s misery motoring for the time being whilst I try to figure out the best way to get it back on the road with the minimum of fuss. The BOND is taking all my drive/ garage space and I don't really want to leave it jacked up on blocks in the street if I can avoid it. ah well, this then is the joy of cl****c motoring I suppose.

Today I went and had a look through my spares stash, along with a second hand windscreen and a propshaft there were several boxes of bits that needed investigating. Unpacking box number one revealed enough NOS break shoes to renew two Standards, some NOS flexis and what I think are wheel cylinders?

Mystery box #2 and we have multiple fan belts, a selection of radiator hoses, wipers (much needed), rad cap and a brand new dizzy (with 'Morris Minor' written on it...) plus....er... a track rod end?

box #3 had a complete used pedal assembly, a lone front spring, brand new front shocks and 3 tarnished but servicable hubcaps, plus a new oil filter and someother bits and bobs

box #4 was the motherlode of old-man ephemera. A fetching Standard Motor Club baseball cap, used but okay-ish plugs, the original balloon jack, a KING DICK socket thingy with one big socket, a wooden screwdriver and some filthy old Y-fronts. I think that's a clutch slave next to the plug, and another track rod end below that?

The last box has a used but very clean looking carb, a knacked master cyl, new washer plunger and some sort of thingy. The one on the bottom right. Any ideas?

All that lot has lessened the blow of my non-motoring somewhat, seeing as I have virtually everything I need to keep it in fine fettle for the foreseeable future, everything except a pair of rear springs that is. I've safely wrapped my KING DICK in my soiled kecks and put it all away in the garage, hopefully never to be used but comforting to know it's there.

So that's it! A disappointing lack of driving the thing, but the brief time I've had behind the wheel I've loved, the raspy pea shooter exhaust note and silly sliding windows have already provided literally MINUTES of hilarity, and I can now definitively state that a basic 1955 Standard 8 is a far better driver's car than a 1938 Lincoln Zephyr V-12....
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Re: Last Month's Daily, Next Week

Postby tone_depear » Tue May 14, 2013 2:46 pm

That's a right haul of bits! Excellent.
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Tue May 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Good stuff.
Shame about the spring snappage, and the resulting delay, as it looks like a very tidy little thing. I guess this is the inevitable consequence of driving about in something that has been obselete for a Very Long Time.
Once you're rolling again I am sure that it will provide hours of entertainment. Granted, you won't cover many miles in those hours, but that it by-the-by.
[Though probably a rocketship compared to some of the fossilised chod you'll be pootling in at work...]
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Tue May 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Lovely :)

Spares stuff does look like its got some useful bits. The mystery thing in the last photo of bits is a starter solenoid. Are the brake shoes not a set of fronts and a set of rears? The Minor dizzy would physically fit the engine but might have very slightly different advance weights and vac advance module. There's data on-line to compare dizzy numbers. I doubt you'd notice much difference in practice though.

Once you've got the springs sorted I'm sure the car will give you literally yards of reliable service.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 pm

That looks like such a sweet little thing, what are they like performance-wise? Hope you get the leaf spring sorted with minimum hassle.
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Tue May 14, 2013 5:47 pm

I think performance may be entirely the wrong word in this context....
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Tue May 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Just a thought: It is unlikely that the new springs will come with bushes. It will probably be worthwhile getting in touch with the Standard club or whoever does spares (Speedys? Collectors Car Parts?) and get some ready in advance. Will likely save a lot of time/swearing when the time comes to fit the new springs. It may even be worth giving Canley Classics a call as they may either have or know where to look. Ditto, Bill of Rarebits. Or ask Brost Forge if that's who is sorting the springs.

Oh, also you could probably support the body and re-fit the wheels to the axle the car such that it doesn't look much like its missing vital components while immobile at the side of the road ;) Just don't forget and get in to drive away.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby start » Tue May 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Barrett wrote: break shoes

So that's it!

Pedant mode :)

I drove one of these fitted with Standrive many years ago, an interesting experience.
1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Barrett » Wed May 15, 2013 1:44 am

Eugh, I deserve 30 lashes for that. I'll just mention it to my boss and I'll probably have to stand outside in the rain filling in the potholes in the drive with my own internal organs as punishment, which I think is fair.

New bushes have been considered, but I hadn't thought about Speedy Spares - will give them a bell when they're open (which I think is sometime between 8.45-8.47 on a thursmontuday afterevening. I am going to to try and track down some second hand springs before shelling out a massive amount for bespoke new ones (although I do really enjoy saying the word 'bespoke' so it might be worth it). Hopefully it won't be too long before I'm doing the commute in this little bastard.
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Wed May 15, 2013 7:24 am

How long is your commute?
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Next

Return to Bitter Men