• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Miserable, slow & draughty: Best for British Holidays

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Miserable, slow & draughty: Best for British Holidays

Postby I.K.Brunel » Sun May 19, 2013 8:56 am

We've had a few electric oddities recently, so I thought I would quickly include this thingy.

This is the 'Rickshaw', manufactured by a company called Electraction - some google-fu throws up a company in existence today though not in the same location, and listed as founded in 1976, which I am not sure tallies with this little electric thing, unless it was one of their first products... http://www.electraction.com

Anyway, the Rickshaw was apparently aimed at the leisure market - golf courses, holiday parks etc, although I don't think that Butlins of skegness ordered them by the thousand.

Electraction Rickshaw 1 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

Allegedly could do 55miles per charge and 30mph (both of which sound a little optimistic given it's probable forklift rootes). Also note that parts were available through GM - anyone car to spot which bits? [Aside the obvious Viva rostyles]

Electraction Rickshaw 2 by SherpaVanFan, on Flickr

Burning question - did any survive? YES!
here is one that was road registered and is still alive....

Electraction Rickshaw by anachrocomputer, on Flickr

I think that one of these would make a pretty interesting piece for car shows, and fun for summer pottering by the sea - Eco-moke, anyone??
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Re: Miserable, slow & draughty: Best for British Holidays

Postby start » Sun May 19, 2013 9:55 am

Interesting ! I have had a thought wandering around in the general swill. Get good small car bodies (good body ruined mechanicals etc) and replace with electrics and say 6-8 standard 12v batteries and sell to the commuter market. I have no idea of costs !!!!. It sounds like a good idea. But reality can be different. Would anyone buy a small commuter/ shopping car like this sold at a reasonable price ?
1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Barrett » Sun May 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Great! These things are indeed forklift-based, they use Lancing-Bagnall engines. Lancing-Bagnall also built our Bradshaw economy car prototype, and I'll be rooting through their entire surviving archive for info on that one at some point soon, so I'll keep an eye out for any Electraction related information too.

They actually did a whole 'range' though I think the Rickshaw was the only one that ever saw production

This 'sports car' model was called the Tropicana. Looks like the premature offspring of a TX Tripper and a TR7 (and not in a good way)

There was a small light van called the E700 of which at least one was built (cause I've seen a picture of it) but all I can find online to confirm its existence is this tiny ebay photo

This Rickshaw appears to be wearing the correct wheels. Perhaps the pair in your shed can form the basis of a replica, IKB? Is that an MGB windscreen?

(photos from the ever-useful allcarindex )
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Advertisement

Postby start » Sun May 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Yes it is an MGB screen. the same plate on both 'shaws too. What would the mgb screen one be like to ride in with those hoods up ?
1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sun May 19, 2013 6:36 pm

D'you think the screen in the one in IKB's original post is the rear hatch one from the same MGB?!

Either way this is clearly an absolutely hopeless vehicle. In fact its a hopeless range of vehicles destined to fall into the obscurity of the galaxy with only a glimmer of a memory held in small, unimportant parts of the internet like this one. Well done!
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Jon » Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 am

Hmm. I read the title and prior to reading, thought you'd bought the brown Sherpa camper off Ebay! Oh well. I 'know' of these through a forgotten cars book by Giles Chapman (is he still a motoring journo?) and I'm sure he mentioned that a survivor was found abandoned in a hedge somewhere years later, which I'm guessing is this one. I wonder how legit the registration number is though, as it seems that an awful lot has changed, from minor bits like colour, seats, indicators and windscreen to stuff like no doors and LHD. All do-able of course but why the latter? Regardless, it looks brill but in a wouldn't-want-to-own sense.

Also, slight pedant mode but I reckon those wheels are more likely Chevette rostyles not Viva ones, as the alloys seen on some images are Chevette GLS ones. Or maybe they featured on both models and I've shown myself up.
Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Does seem improbable that both are the same vehicle, but not impossible I guess.
It's likely that some re-hashing may have occurred to enliven interest in the project.

That van-type creation looks to have been an opportunity missed - given the number of electric MEGA vans you now see whizzing about the capital, it would seem that particular offshoot would have worked, had they not been 30 years too early to the party.

Point taken re. the wheels - though the Cosmics on the JYO in the early shot would still suggest Viva (imperial 4" fitment vs 100mm metric of a chevette...)
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men