• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

A Museum Tour - Gaydon

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

A Museum Tour - Gaydon

Postby Seth » Mon May 14, 2012 6:44 pm

I was wondering if a single thread containing some museum highlights was sensible, to give people an idea of what they might see on a visit. Not sure how we'd work it. Maybe have a separate thread for each museum (like the calendar of adventures) and then one with links to each thread, or possibly a separate forum section? Dunno if that's a necessary evil in this case though. Anyhow, here's some of what you can see at Gaydon as of May 2012.

The British Motor Industry Heritage Museum at Gaydon was first opened in 1993 and was initially the preserve of the Rover group and the marques that had been amalgamated into that over the years though with the demise of Rover and various industry take-overs etc. its focus has been altered to cover the entire British industry. My impression is that the majority of the cars on display are still BMC/Leyland/Rovers though. Being originally associated with the factories there are a number of important cars (firsts/lasts etc) as well as various prototypes so it’s more than just a private collection.

First cars I was drawn towards on getting inside where the Gas turbine experimentals.

The Le-Mans car is great, with a corduroy interior

There is a 'time-road' with cars arranged along it in roughly chronological order.

Ideal car for those learning to drive.

Big Land Rovers

I am naturally drawn towards all things land speed related.

Nearest car of these three is the one that took the LSR for steam powered vehicles in 2009, the FIA record being 139.8mph. A US (one way) record was set at 148mph. The record this beat had been set in 1906 and was 127.6mph. You'd have thought 100+ years would have lead to a bigger difference.

Upstairs on a mezzanine were some more ordinary vehicles of various makes but the ones of most interest were these two Mini based prototypes.

There was also an incredibly cut away chassis. The apprentices (I imagine) had really gone to town on this one!

A good view could be had of the display MGB too.

Back downstairs, smaller cabinet based exhibits included these Wolseley sheep shearers.

and these, for the discerning car buyer.

A temporary display was promoting the fantastic photographic records at http://www.motorgraphs.com

Nearby I found my newest most desirable vehicle that was never made. A Canley styling exercise that either had Michelloti help or they just cribbed bits of his Triumph designs anyway. WOuld probably need a FWD/dolomite as a donor to build one for real if anyone can think of a suitable candidate.

This is obviously an electric as it looks ungainly.

And finally these two have a nice pair of number plates.

There is a huge amount more that I didn't photograph,and I know that I didn't get to see all round everywhere properly either as there's no obvious route to take around the slightly odd shaped hall. All in all well worth a visit, especially if you can make it on a day when there's some club sort of events going on outside as well.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: A Museum Tour - Gaydon

Postby xedos » Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Excellent summary! I went round here recently, and was a tad disappointed at the limited selection of the collection on display - nonetheless, there's a lot of interesting vehicles here. I hadn't been here since just before it opened - highlights, as a 9 year old on the staff-and-families open day was picking a daisy from the side window of a 110 on the off road course. It was free then, and great fun. Not sure I'd stump up the extra to do it again though.

They claimed that the 'old car' which isn't a range rover prototype behind 'POGS CAR' is the oldest Rover known to exist. Which is presumably why they allow kids to cover it in crayon scrawl and chewing gum. Ne'ermind.

Some of my favourites:
An early Metro

A RALLY CAR.
Complete with an interesting* manual fuel pump in the back window for when it inevitably failed. Back passengers essential.

Another prototype mini replacement. It seems like half of the museum was dedicated to them in one form or another! The green one you can't quite see in this picture had a CVT IIRC.

I'll also mention - tickets are a 12 month affair, so you can return at a later date to enjoy the exhibits if you're visiting during a show, or return for another show. There's 3-4 shows a year which aren't included in this.

And finally, a sensible estate car.
xedos
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Manatee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Seth wrote:

This is obviously an electric as it looks ungainly.

Nope - the ECV had a small petrol engine. It was more an experiment in low friction tyres and regenerative braking, as well as aerodynamics and fuel economy. Nice to see it 'in the flesh' so to speak. I know Gaydon periodically cycles its exhibits around. Was the MG EX-E on the floor?

Years ago I was invited into the secret workshop (no, not a euphemism) that held the Metro R6 replacement, the Mini ACV 30 concept car (not long after it had been on show) and PR1, the front engined M16 proposal for the MGF. There's a door hidden in the murals in the back corner. There were quite a few other cars in there, but those were what I remembered standing out.

That, and Bernd Pischetsrieder's personal Austin Healey 3000............
Manatee
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks for the clarification Manatee.

I've just come across this place. Looks like it would make a good Scat holiday destination.

http://tbauto.org/about.htm
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men