• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

That Aggro wot Barrett an Me Brought

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

That Aggro wot Barrett an Me Brought

Postby garycox » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Shamelessly C&Pd from t'other place, for the benefit of those that don't stray onto the Brown much...

As you're probably aware by now, Barrett and I bought an Allegro last week, and due to overwhelming* demand I thought I'd finally put up some pictures and that.

The purchase of this was all Trigger's fault, as he put a link to the Car & Classic ad up on the Ebay Tat thread on the brown last Tuesday evening. Within minutes, Barrett had said he'd go halves and I'd called up to check whether it was still available. Obviously it was.

Plans were made, and I caught the train from Brighton to Martin's Heron on Thursday to collect it!

It's a lot cleaner than expected, apart from the obvious damage and a few minor rusty bits of bodywork it's pretty tidy. There is some rust underneath along the edges of the floors, we'll see what the MOT man says about that. Still, with about 6 weeks of MOT and tax til the end of July it seems like a massive bargain. The engine is about as smooth and quiet as an A series gets!

Anyway, pictures:

Quality reading material for the train journey courtesy of Trigger

Obligatory petrol station shot

On arrival back in Brighton, I met Barrett on Madeira Drive, there's a small monthly car gathering at some gallery thing.

Rug was included.

DENT

The radio is a modern* one out of a '90s Rover, but the original came with it as well.

Viewed from the 1950s

Here's the history file:

The original owner had it until 2001. It was then sold to a young guy who had it when the door was damaged in 2002. It was reversed into in a car park. The lady we bought it from had it since just after that, she bought it as a Cat C in November '02 for £75. She also has a white S reg Allegro 2 she does shows with, and said she was a founding member of the Allegro club as well.

The little book is from the original owner and shows every single journey the car made until January '97.

It mainly says 'Woking' a lot, with 'Doctors' probably in 2nd place. What is the point of this?!! When would you ever need this information?! At least I now know that it's first journey after I was born was to a farm shop and the mileage was 16,940. Interesting*

The 'highlight' of this rather pointless document is that in November '95 he got a new 'speedmeter' fitted, as he didn't trust the odometer on the old one for some reason. The car now shows 24.425 miles less than it should. (currently displaying just over 30,000, so actual mileage is about 55k)

MINIMUM JOY
garycox
IAN McGASKILL

Re: That Aggro wot Barrett an Me Brought

Postby Leonard Hatred » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Wow, that obsessive journey log is a great bit of history!
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:00 pm

austIAN
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 pm

Excellent! Re the rusty floor/sill bits - MoT man will say that if he can't make holes in it by pushing (not hammering) then it's still ok for another year, also any holes he does make need to be within a foot of important bits (suspension mounts, subframe mounts, seatbelts) for it to be a fail.
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:31 am

Insanely jealous, as I really wanted this but by the time I had ratified it with The Fuhrer, , you'd already made the cal.

Ref grubby/rusty bits and the Man from the Ministry. ... do you have a tame tester in the deep south? Like an Ozzy or a Dave Rapid (as we london & home counties lad utilise) ?? Would hate to see some over-zealous thicky condemn it on account under false pretenses.....
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am

A historian might love that book in a hundred years time for seeing what we got up to in our times. I could tell you how rubbish this car is but that'd be pointless. It is particularly useful to own two cars that could be mutual engine donors though. :)
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:34 am

Allegros and Maestros have different and incompatable versions of the A series though, thanks to the VAG gearbox in the maestro changing the crank end.

The aggro needs keeping safe from Mini owners and Breakfast radio DJs though!
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby start » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:11 pm

loving this car, I once bought anal legro ex my mother. After a few repairs including a rebore and gearbox overhaul it became a better car than it should have been. I kept it for a couple of years. She got a Toyota Co rolla 1300 auto.
As for the Ian Beale rating, that name is very very close to reality !
1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby garycox » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Presumably Seth means the Allegro and the Mini... The Maestro has compatible paint though.

We ought to find somewhere else to do the MOT really, the place I normally go to are quite enthusiastic with the pointy hammers.
MINIMUM JOY
garycox
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Stratstone isn't in Egham any more, but if you can find an address I'll take a picture of what's there now.
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Next

Return to Bitter Men