• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Renishaw Hall Classic Car & Bike Show

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Renishaw Hall Classic Car & Bike Show

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Renishaw Hall Classic Car & Bike Show is organised by the Chesterfield Rotary Club and is an annual affair to raise money for charity. My initial concerns was that this would be a very stuffy affair with overly restored classics littering the lawn and grounds of a stately home. I was pleasantly surprised then to find that the shoddy car I chose to turn up in was welcomed and directed to rather a nice spot within spitting distance of the big house, flanked by a super clean black Mini and a nice red what I think was a Morgan. Throughout the day the weather had been a confusing mix of glorious sunshine and miserable showers, seeing me wandering round in that very British summer traditional attire of a straw hat to keep the sun off and an umbrella to keep the rain off.

Normally when I attend a show I do take a lot of pictures and then throw a good two thirds of them away because there's a lot of repetition. This time that was not to be the case and I've ended up with hundreds of photographs of cars ranging from the turn of the century right up to brand new stuff. It really is a very mixed bag and the people attending are just as varied as the cars. I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes cars and older motorbikes (though the bike selection was quite small comparatively) over what those cars and older motorbikes are.

So, on with the pictures. I've broken stuff down into smaller assortments according loosely to age so I'll be updating over the next few days with the best and most interesting bits so I don't flood the place with images. We'll start with the oldest, which were easily some of the most beautiful machines there. I staked out a good spot near the entrance and spent a good hour or so at exhaust level inhaling fumes while taking photographs, enjoying every minute of it.

Where possible, I'll tell you what the vehicle is, but this first one I can't remember the identity of.

This behemoth I can, it was a Guy Vixen. It was stunning, a true marvel to behold. When the driver was told to reverse it into place next to a spotless 1970s Beetle by one of the marshalls I was further impressed by the feat being accomplished with considerable aplomb.

I know this is an Austin, but I don't know which one. Particularly liked the hubcaps on it.

Triumph Roadster, just like the one Berjerac had... but not red.

Proper motorcar this little Renault from the turn of the century. I think this was the oldest car there and it was a delight to see.

Accidental Woollarding. The chap doing the Woollard was asked "what seems to be the matter?" to which he answered "It's broke." I think this is a Morris, but again I don't know which one.

Another stunner. It might be a Bentley, I'm not sure.

This is a remarkably similar car to the above, and this one is a Bentley.

I can't remember what this is, possibly a Standard/Vanguard. It was very nicely two-toned in almost-beige and burgundy. EDIT: It's an Austin 16, thanks to AngryDicky for identifying that one :EDIT

Yet more proper motorcar action. I don't even know who manufactured this car.

The noise, the smell and the look of this pair was just perfection. I think the black/primrose is an RMA and the all-black is an RME, but I'm not 100% sure.

Austin? I really don't know. I tend to just assume cars of this shape and style are Austins. EDIT: Austin 10 Colwyn Cabriolet. Again, thanks to AngryDicky for the indentification :EDIT
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Re: Renishaw Hall Classic Car & Bike Show

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:57 pm

There's more...

I couldn't work out what this one was at all, just that it looked superb.

Happily, the manufacturer wrote their name on the engine and the grille. I always thought Lagonda only did massive Bentley Blower sized things.

This one's an Austin, no guessing needed, it's also a Big 7 and not just because the number plate says so. It was excellent from bumper to bumper.

I had never seen one of these before, that I can recall, it's a cigar vent. This particular example was rebuilt from parts and installed in the roof very neatly indeed.

The interior retrim is excellent. The interior looks brand new and yet, strangely, didn't look over restored for it in the way quite a few retrimmed cars can. Everything about the car look factory fresh rather than concourse competitor and yet it probably could win a concourse competition or two if it wanted to.

I commented that the Bakelite trims were the best I'd seen, because they were, and it turns out they were vinyl wrapped! You really couldn't tell.

Gorgeous little engine too.

Is the black one perhaps a Rover? Answers on a postcard, &c.

Handsome little Ford Prefect.

Riley with some sort of Americanised thing going on.

This was completely new to me, at first I thought it was a Crosley.

The manufacturer didn't exactly boast about what the car is. It's got to be a very rare little thing and was parked next to a Ferrari of some description that I wasn't interested in.

Right hand drive too, which I thought was peculiar for a French car of this era.

Another surprise was this Lanchester. It's the first time I've seen a Lanchester that wasn't a weird dumpy looking thing. This was just amazing. I wanted it for my very own.

Calibra watches as an ancient Austin ambles away.

I only wish I could have recorded the smell that all of the above made, there really is nothing quite like it. We've made it through the Great Wars with the above selection, so our next installment will see the post-war chrome boom of the 'Classic Cars'.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby Paul H » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Great write-up, cheers for sharing :D

Vulgalour wrote:Where possible, I'll tell you what the vehicle is, but this first one I can't remember the identity of.

Difficult to tell from this angle, but initial thought is a Fordson.

Vulgalour wrote:Accidental Woollarding. The chap doing the Woollard was asked "what seems to be the matter?" to which he answered "It's broke." I think this is a Morris, but again I don't know which one.

1948 Hillman Minx

Vulgalour wrote:Another stunner. It might be a Bentley, I'm not sure.

Alvis TA14

Vulgalour wrote:The noise, the smell and the look of this pair was just perfection. I think the black/primrose is an RMA and the all-black is an RME, but I'm not 100% sure.

Easy coding for RMs is as follows - A & E are 1 1/2 litre saloons, B & F are 2 1/2 litre saloons. D is drophead, C is roadster (more on that later). 1 1/2 have dark blue badge, 2 1/2 have light blue badge & longer wheelbase for larger engine. There are differences between A & E, and between B & F, due to updates etc, including change from torque tube to propshaft rear axle. Also, whilst the early version of the E looks essentially like an A, the final version of the E lost the running boards, gained a prominent crease in the top of the front wings, and also rear arch spats. This was at the time when the F was replaced by the Pathfinder.

Vulgalour wrote:I couldn't work out what this one was at all, just that it looked superb.

Happily, the manufacturer wrote their name on the engine and the grille. I always thought Lagonda only did massive Bentley Blower sized things.

Ickle Lagonda is a Rapier.

Vulgalour wrote:Is the black one perhaps a Rover? Answers on a postcard, &c.

Morris, either an Oxford or Cowley. This type are known as a Flatnose, as opposed to the earlier Bullnose.

Vulgalour wrote:Riley with some sort of Americanised thing going on.

This is an RMC roadster. Bumpers are factory, but missing the central cappings, and overriders (eight in total). Continental spare is also correct. These were aimed primarily at the US market.
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks Paul H, always good to have a bit extra info on these things. Does this help identify the small removal van? Now you've mentioned it, Fordson does sound about right.

Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:40 pm

The red thing next to you was a herald-based MG TC replica IIRC! That mini was nice the other side too. I didn't take many pictures because I did the classic: find camera > charge camera > leave camera at top of stairs trick. And I didn't stay long due to having to be at Sheffield station for 5. Good planning*.

Disappointingly I'm not gurning in the background of any of your pictures, which would have amused me.

Highlight for me was literally EVERYONE saying "it'll be tax free in # years". Apart from owners of ones which were already tax free. And being earnestly asked if I was exhibiting, and then being greeted with a quite disappointed face when I said "nah, i'm going in an hour". And a nice cold pint, which I also enjoyed.

Ornament en route to the toilet:
Untitled by Tony Lloyd, on Flickr

Ornament next to an MG replica kit thing:

Jensen Healey + others:

Simca:

Olduns next to some cars

fin.
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Jon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:28 am

Nice write-up Vulga - I reckon this makes all the difference to posts like these, as it's so easy to just scroll down quickly when there's nothing to read. I reckon I'd have glanced for a max. of 30 seconds if you'd just put up a wall of images. It does look like a good show, which is something I've not had chance to go to yet over here. Is there anything coming up in the area in August? Am popping over to visit family and friends and am almost defo staying north of Derby for the duration.

Look forward to the updates.
Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:44 am

I'm not sure... there is the Ashover show on the 28th of July that they were advertising via flyers (left it in the glovebox and it's now dark and I cba to go get it for more info) and I'd be surprised if there wasn't something in August in the area. I'll see what I can find out.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:24 am

That little pre-(early post?) war Renault is a huney. My initial reaction was Opel.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Paul H » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 am

Seth wrote:That little pre-(early post?) war Renault is a huney. My initial reaction was Opel.

That was my first thought too - the Opel of this size would be a Kadett (the tooling for that was later taken over & used by the Soviets) - Dad's godfather had one, which IIRC he drove from Hungary round through the Middle East to Cairo in the early '40s.
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:29 pm

The little Renault is from 1909, you can make out the plaque on Tone's picture which I don't think you can on any of mine. I should have taken more pictures, but every time I tried it was swarmed with people for obvious reasons.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men