• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Retro Show, Santa Pod

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Retro Show, Santa Pod

Postby Seth » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 am

Hot Hot Hot! Zero shade and a fairly bleak long and thin tarmac'd show area made for a pretty wearysome day. A pretty good mix of vehicles in attendance though and plenty to pique the scatter's interest.

There was a large selection of Renault 5 GTis/Turbos with this 19 and a 21 keeping them company.

This Auto Union is just wonderful. UK plate on the back looks suitably old so it may even be an original UK vehicle? Its RHD but then its the sort of delivery van that might have been RHD even in the home market. I couldn't tell for sure but am still pondering that its original running gear has made way for a complete VW floorpan.

A varied selection of De Tomasos. When I say varied I mean mostly Panteras but also a Deauville and a Mangusta.

The Mangusta looks like a proper old concept car that might have only existed in the mind of a Matchbox model designer.

I mused that just a few years ago these Volvos had no desirability to anyone whatsoever.

Chequered Triumph

OMG RWD DRIFT Yo!

I think I've seen this 17 before. Certainly looked familiar.

The rozzers!

Not sure why but this Range Rover was parked in amongst the Rat-Luk club guys.

Back to the Renaults again.

An excellent looking workhorse.

Tiny cars.

It was acceptable in the Nineties. Oh hang on. No it wasn't. I don't think this sort of thing ever was.

The PB Cresta estate I saw at the Ace last month. Fairly sure I know the family who own it.

HARD

Because bready.

Over on the other side of the strip was some non club/show and shine retro parking, a reasonable percentage of which was taken up by this one car.

Unmolested.

Spot on Bedford.

Loved the simple way this Minor looked.

This Fiat/Lada was with the Practical Performace Mag guys. It was truly stunning.

Van YKT

JU!

Simcas were well represented including this beautiful little coupe. No 1301/1501s though.

Dunno if this was a static exhibit.

Really Loud in the house. And Spotted Laurel. Nice to wonder around with those chaps a while even if I did have to let them go and look at a Cherry on their own.

And finally not a Mini. Well, it is a Mini but...

So did you spot the vehicle with the Les Leston steering wheel? Here it is!

Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: Retro Show, Santa Pod

Postby I.K.Brunel » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:51 am

Excellent picturation, which just serves to make me even more ANGRY that I had to spend the day doing tedious things at home.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:26 pm

That weather must have been killer - I haven't been to much car stuff this year, but I don't envy walking around in that heat :shock:
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Paul H » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Jonny69 wrote:That weather must have been killer - I haven't been to much car stuff this year, but I don't envy walking around in that heat :shock:

Ditto, although it would have been a great* excuse to wear my foreign legion hat to avoid the pod face epidemic :oops: One year I will find out what the Amazon's 1/4 mile time is...
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Jon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:22 pm

It's great to hear British people moaning about the weather ('weather' or not it's justified); I look forward to that among other things on my trip back over, including organised queueing, high speed motorway driving (and associated traffic jams, since we all like a nice queue) and affordable* fuel.

I've mentioned before that I do miss a good car show but it's great to see pictures and read reports of them as a substitute. I love seeing exotic cars in interesting period colours, so that De Tomaso makes me happy. Not so great to see a Renault 9 described as a 19. Just practising my British pedantry there.....
Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Spottedlaurel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:11 pm

I enjoyed my day at Retro Show, very pleasant to wander round with Seth and Reallyloud. Seth has already posted better photos of actual cars, though I might add a few at some point, so here's the story of my day.

An irregular obstruction by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

After an ill child in the night and general pre-show anticipation leading to me only getting 3hrs of sleep, I left early. I saw this standing in the road, was I dreaming? Luckily I had the chance to take a photo and prove that I wasn't.

Beautiful downtown St Neots by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Probably my favourite road by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I drove through St Neots and along the B645. I'll find any excuse possible to drive that way. I suspect it's also popular with crazy-speed bikers, but I'm usually early enough to avoid them.

Arriving somewhat early by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It appears RR people don't do early starts (or I'm desperately unpopular).

Reallyloud and Cherry by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The aforementioned Cherry inspection.

Model car mishap by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Because I was up so early I had enough time to dig out a few of my built kits and put them on display on the dashboard, which appears to have been a mistake after they melted. Grrr. (Note my dashboard is not covered with a floral tablecloth.)

Cars and others stuff to come at some point.
Spottedlaurel
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Spottedlaurel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 pm

1984 Renault 5 Turbo 2 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Seth in action!

1982 Austin Metro Vanden Plas by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

A shame IKB wasn't here to join us while we pondered over this.

1981 Vauxhall Viceroy by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

A piece of Mazda 323 glass was Pony Expressed up to Hirst in the boot of this. I hope it made it there OK...
Spottedlaurel
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men