• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Cranleigh Classic Car Show

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Cranleigh Classic Car Show

Postby Amazo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Last edited by Amazo on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Amazo
IAN McSHANE

Re: Cranleigh Classic Car Show

Postby Paul H » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Great pics & write-up! :D Pity I didn't bump into you there - we seem to have quite similar tastes in old tat, so would have been very interesting to share knowledge! Oh, and that Pug 202 is indeed lovely. Must confess when I saw that Simplex from a distance, I assumed it was an American La France, ex-fire engine, so didn't bother looking closer :oops:

Btw, that two tone G reg 164 is believed to be the earliest UK survivor. Surprised that you didn't snap a certain other car on that stand, especially as there was also its shiny, restored twin for comparison ;)

Amazo wrote:A 1919 Austin 20 shooting brake. In the 1920s there were people who believed the 4-cylinder 20 comparable with if not superior to the equivalent Rolls-Royce. If the coachwork were light enough, the 20 could also give a 3-litre Bentley a run for its money. hard to think that at one time Austins, Vauxhalls and Renaults were spoken of in the same breath as the boys from Crewe.

180820134566 by Sosumi Photography, on Flickr

TBH though, the R-R 20 wasn't that great. Don't know enough about big Austins of this era to comment more. However, Vauxhall's OE30/98 is a stunning piece of machinery, and easily as good as the equivalent Bentley.

Amazo wrote:Riley Lynx tourer (awaits Mr Harker to come round with the clipboard and slide rule):

180820134531 by Sosumi Photography, on Flickr

:P :P Actually, the owner of that one used to know my father, and remembers me when I was very little (pictured is a '35, dad used to have a '37 Sprite version)

Amazo wrote:Pre-war headlight/grill combos are a snapper's dream:

180820134533 by Sosumi Photography, on Flickr

From Nuffield to Rootes

Wash your mouth out! Nuffield had nothing to do with the 12/4 (fortunately) as Riley was an independent company until 1938. The prewar Nuffield Rileys were a huge contrast to what had gone before, and not in a good way, and are deservedly very rare!
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Amazo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Last edited by Amazo on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazo
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Paul H » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:30 pm

The new edit is much better! :D
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men