• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Seth Tours 2013. Further into France.

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Seth Tours 2013. Further into France.

Postby Seth » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Last summer's French fling, to the environs around Paris (mostly EuroDisney), with a day in Reims, was a bit of a dry run. It was the first time I'd driven in my own car on the wrong side of the road and it was a holiday that was also hurriedly organised at the last minute. If deemed successful however it would surely lead on to greater travels when the time came. And that time came at 04:30 a couple of weeks ago - destination Alsace.

It is about 90 miles from home to Dover and leaving for an early boat as we did last year is handy as it means not having to deal with any traffic at this end and also gives more time to get a decent way into France later in the day. Expectations of good spotting to come were high after seeing the Skat truck as we drove into the sunrise on the M2.

At the port I had just enough time to remove (and then refit) the Hillman's grille to fit the yellow Lucas headlight covers. Nothing exciting to see on the ferry and this is what laid ahead at the other side. 320km (198m) of (mostly) tolled motorway.

After stopping for fuel after about 60km (I try to run the car with as little as possible for the crossing to make getting on and off the ferry easier - no point carrying 30kg+ of fuel behind the back axle if not necessary) we made another stop for lunch about half way.

We arrived about 3:30pm and so had time after setting up camp for a little wander but saw not much other than this tractor and R4.

The next morning was more exciting than it should have been when looking for the supermarket fuel station and inadvetently entering the car park which contained height restrictions slightly lower than the bikes on the roof and also speed bumps. At least once we got to the right bit I saw this 104 and sent Mrs_Seth off to take the picture while I deposited more 98 octane in the tank. The Hillman seems to prefer the strong stuff when towing and we also saw plenty of 95E10 around and thought it better to avoid the potential old carburetor/hose alcohol difficulties.

Day two travelling, to our prime destination of Kaysersberg was like so. Approx 392km (243m)

It looks a long way round but I was not sure how we would manage if we tried the more direct route over the Vosges mountains so decided to try playing it safer though more expensively (fuel and tolls) by sticking to the motorways.

We stopped at a decent looking 'Aire' a bit over halfway to have lunch and splash some more fuel in to ensure we'd make it the rest of the way with no problems. An earlier calculation had showed we were doing around 29mpg which I was pretty pleased about to be honest. The car had run a bit hotter that morning, especially when we had to wait at a toll booth for a few minutes and a nagging doubt I'd had in my mind was proven when I opened the bonnet - I'd checked the water that morning, had got distracted and hadn't done the rad cap back up. Fortunately it had stayed in place but there was spray all over the bonnet and once cooled, before we set off again, it took 2 litres of water. Oh well - nothing to do but hope there were no consequences. Seeing this pair in the petrol station cheered me up!

We made it to the 'Camping' around 4pm, set up and I breathed a sigh of releif.

Next day we headed into the nearest big town of Colmar for a look around and some food shopping to get us through the weekend. We were planning on using the train to get to Strasbourg at some time so parked in the station car park to check it out. This was there.

An accurate* model of the tour.

A rubbish motorised bicycle.

An excellent looking tyre shop.

Pre soixante dix huit is coming!

Saturday was a relaxed day on the campsite and wandering through Kaysersberg town where we came across a wide arched, R8 Gordini but with no way of taking a photo! Argh! Sunday was more exciting. Time for the first drive up into the mountains to visit a castle (at 'B')

On the way up we found ourselves briefly following this 304...

..until he stopped to talk to a chap in this Peugeot!

Then Mrs_Seth spotted a poster for a classic car show in the village (of Thannenkirch) that day! The castle was very good and there were a few more old cars mooching about, some clearly connected with the show.

Dunno why the camera phone did this.

So, it would have been rude not to go and investigate later in the day, passing this Midget on the way back down.

I'll do a proper thread on the show, but this is what Mrs_Seth was able to snap as we drove in, getting bemused looks.

Monday contained an incredible experience, and basically the reason why Alsace was this years chosen destination. This was the route we took to Mulhouse.

Well, it would have been rude not to pop into Germany while we were close by.

Once back in France we had to rely on signposts to find the musuem. The museum. Cite de l'automobile - otherwise, and by law, to be referred to as the Schlumpf collection.

Again, a proper thread will follow. This BMW was in the car park when we arrived.

And on leaving several hours later, this Simca!

With the weather looking pretty reasonable we chose Tuesday to be the day to tackle the mountain roads up to 'Grand Ballon' the highest peak in the Vosges at 1,424m. Here was our route there, starting at A and joining the 'Route des Cretes' for much of the way there, at B.

Gratuitous shot of car in hills.

Not the oldest car on that road that morning though!

We made it to the car park at the top of the road at Grand Ballon and walked up to the peak, getting a good view of a bit of the road back down the other side.

Right at the top there's a historical monument and also this, a stark, unmanned Radar station.

It looks like the lair of an evil man, who is set on world domination and defeat of James Bond.

Anyway, here's proof of the Hillman parked in a place higher than any point of the United Kingdom (Ben Nevis is only 1344m)

There was this Lancia by the restaurant up there too.

Second destination of the day was C on the map, the walled town of Riquewihr, which seems virtually unchanged in 300+years.

There's a museum on the postal service there so we popped in for a look. I think this was the only H van I saw all holiday.

Some models.

And 1950s chart of French industry.

Then on the way home I had to turn around to 'spot' this but I doubt I've ever seen one outside of a show before.

I'm probably about halfway through now so will have a break and finish off tomorrow.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: Seth Tours 2013. Further into France.

Postby Seth » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:40 pm

The Wednesday was probably our least successful day for doing things but we did come across these behind a Renault garage while trying to find a strange sounding museum that was shut/non existant.

Possibly the best looking of the CoToWs we saw.

Ended up in another town where the later architecture melded perfectly with the centuries old surrounding buildings.

Garage not great for Lucas electrifications.

Thursday was to be a better, longer day spent in Strasbourg. We got the train to give me and the car a rest from driving.

One place we came across not far from the station was this, the site of which is (as you can just about see) a dull concrete car park for a shopping centre.

Long distance across the river Mustang spot.

But then came one of my favourite spots of the whole holiday, a *Morris Oxford!

We'd seen several Rovers but here's one I took a photo of.

And a Harley I thought looked picturesque

Fab looking cinema

While not car related I thought this next place would interest the scatter too. We weren't sure what to expect but inside 'the Aubette', a 19th century building, some rooms had been restored to the way they had been developed in 1928 by some probably famous artists/designers. Staggeringly cool. There was some modern 'art' in there too but it didn't detract from the decor too much.

Dance hall/cinema

Function room

Stairs.

Right, back to motoring, with a German military vehicle.

There were two of these human 'statues' by the cathedral. They were absolutely rubbish as they kept moving and waving at people.

Wow, look at that!

Man and dog chase after tram.

We took the tram up to see the European Parliament buildings. This cool structure was opposite them. Might have been a library? Not sure.

This was amazingly shonky.

This was a bit tidier.

Next day we went chasing Mathises, knowing that there was supposed to be a group of them touring the area. This is not a Mathis.

These are though!

Driving through the town where they were supposed to be that morning we inadvertent came across a small convoy of them (four, not the sixty mentioned in the flyers) and ended up following them.

Just after that roundabout the inevitable happened and the oldest one at the front broke down. The international CoB I reckon.

I stopped momentarily, decided that they were probably better equipped than me to deal with the situation so continued, following this old friend who had been behind us through the town though I'm not sure he was connected to the Mathis group either.

At the next roundabout this chap had been waiting for the vintage cars, realised something had gone wrong and headed back up to find them.

We went to find somewhere to park to see if there were more of them in town or if that was it. Oh, hello!

This bloke had a large one.

No more Mathises to be found, but there was a support Peugeot.

Look at that!

And then I spotted the Pug coupe again.

This next photo is representative. There were millions of Fiat Pandas everywhere we went. All over the place. Them and 205s.

Now, I might have this wrong but I think this is a pork sausage called 'Police'.

Renault garage looked enticing but sadly had nothing old lurking round the back.

This town (Ribeuville) clearly had had a successful Rover dealer in the past as there were several motoring around. Photos specially for Amazo.

Back near the campsite was this Beetle, the plate on the front being about a locally based rally that I guess had already taken place.

Sunday was our last day to do stuff in the area and I'd found out that a historic rally demo was taking place up in the mountains. Lets go!

Yeah, our route there was somewhat troubled near the end by the fact that the 'stage' was actually on the road we intended to use to get there so we ended up on some very tiny, badly surface, hilly roads trying to find somewhere we could see anything from, or at least to the town were it was based. I got the impression that this event was primarily for the entrants and not really designed for spectators.

We finally ended up finding a bloke on a bicycle who was part of the organising team and he told us were the start was juts as a whole heap of cars returned for what I was to discover would be their last run that morning.

Once parked I walked up to see what was happening and got some startline shots and once the last car had gone the same helpful chap let me know that they were grouping back down in the town so that's where we headed. Proper photos of this will come in another thread.

Now, we wanted to head off to a woodworking museum and the closed section of road (with barrier chicanes etc) was the best way to get there. SO, knowing that all the rally cars were safely in town and going nowhere we might have ignored some 'Route Baree' signs, and driven up the rally stage to the likely bemusement of the odd martial still in place.

Said museum was ace! It was a guided tour and this chap did his best to do lots of dangerous things while demonstrating the machinery.

Automated circular saw thing roughing out clogs. Note lack of guarding around the belt drives.

Routing type machine for the inside of clogs (one on left is the master, being used to determine the shape of the one being cut) chucking wood chips all over the place, particularly near to the kids sitting just behind the rope.

Toys!

I know want a sledge with a chain driven steering mechanism.

Big rims.

The tree of chainsaws.

Obviously the kids got to have a go with a massive saw too. Ace!

This was parked outside the museum, unloading his recycling when we came out.

And along the road was this old garage with lots of tat but I couldn't stop to investigate further.

Back to Kaysersberg for the last eveing we drove past this British Beetle.

found this driveway of interest,

and I finally decided to photograph a Renault of this era, of which we had seen quite a few, mostly 25s.

Campervans on site.

So, the day came to pack up and head home. Now having more experience of the hills, and having done the road itself on the way to the rally we decided that the car should manage over the pass even fully loaded and towing. Quite satisifying when we made it to the top, 949m above sea level.

This was the route back to the overnight stop at Chalons en Champagne, 100km shorter than the motorway route, mostly dual carrigeway but some single lane roads.

Again, I'd purposefully left the tank low to help get over the hills so we soon stopped for fuel and I saw the first Dyane of the holiday.

Made it to Chalons no problem though MPG along this section dropped to only a bit over 25, presumably because of the less constant speed than on the motorway. Still cheaper than doing those extra km and paying tolls though. This was on site.

and this in a nearby car park.

Packing away the next morning, dry fortunately.

En route back to Calais there were half a dozen of these in a Convoy Exceptionel.

Then the motorway was shut north of Reims so we had to come off and got stuck in the only traffic jam of the holiday, but saw half a R4.

A loo break at some services (which was 50% populated by Brits on the way to the port) netted this Dutch Healey.

and this British MG

and a French Kadette.

Onwards, this British 2CV was getting in the way of the lorry.

and the Healey flew by at about 90mph.

Calais port was a bit depressing as computer troubles meant that there was a massive queue for passport control meaning we missed out 4pm ferry. The one unloading had quite a lot of interest, including these two Citroens and a couple of vintage race cars on trailers.

Once lined up at the front of a row we got to see 'our' ferry come in and unload. Mk2 Jag was the only old thing of note.

And then we got to sit and watch as almost everything loaded up before us. And here came the final spot of the holiday. The must be a limited number of people importing something like this to the UK, surely it must be someone 'we' know?! Fiat I think?

So there were are. By the time we got home the odometer on the car had increase by 1413 miles. I checked the fluids (inc brake/clutch) most mornings and had to put a bit of oil in after the long towing days but I don't think we used more than a litre and a half (if that) all in. The O rings that seal the bottom of the float chambers on the Strombergs were letting some fuel out but seemingly not masses and while I have some new pukka good ones (for modern fuel) in the car I opted not to start rebuilding carbs unless it got really bad which it didn't. Otherwise the car was trouble free. Trailer tyres took a bit of a battering and probably needed a bit more air in them but I swapped the worse one for the spare on the way home and we will get some new ones before we travel again.

It was a fantastic journey. Where to next?

Threads on the village car show, Mulhouse and the rally to follow at some point.
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Vacance Exceptionnel!

Looks like a fun time, though mild disappointment you didn't visit the Musee d'Bo11ox while you were in the area... even if just to draw 'cock & balls' motifs / write 'M.Bolleux is bent' in the dust on some old Mazda's...
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Top stuff!

Not interesting, but Ribeauville is where ma_and_pa_tone spend 6 months (ish) of the year. They haven't mentioned seeing lots of Rovers, I'll have to have a word.
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Spottedlaurel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 pm

That gave me an enjoyable lunchtime read/viewing today Seth, interesting to compare with what I saw and I look forward to seeing the remainder of your photos. I've never yet managed to stumble across a French car show, must try harder...
Last edited by Spottedlaurel on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spottedlaurel
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:21 pm

IKB, I think we missed a rendezvous at the Musee d'Bollox by about a week unfortunately. And having forgotten where it was it would have been tricky to find to carry out the cock and balls idea, which admittedly would have been hilarious.

Tone, I think I could happily spend six months of the year there. Lovely place to be.

SL, I shall go and have a proper look at your thread again having only managed a quick browse on a mobile device while away. I got the feeling that quite a lot went on in the Alsace area with old cars, we certainly saw more 'proper classics' rumbling around than we did last year near/in Paris.
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Another thread well worth the wait for! Are the French happy to sit back and watch as German military vehicles trample through their villages? Nothing changes, eh?
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men