• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Kop Hill Climb 2013

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Kop Hill Climb 2013

Postby Seth » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 pm

I last went to this event a couple of years ago and thought it was a great thing that could blossom into something brilliant. It has fortunately not been greatly changed since then, other than some slight layout changes, and is hence still really, really good.

A rather cluttered shot of Paddy Hopkirk (best known for his range of roof racks) lifting the flag on a Talbot team car to start the days proceedings.

Cue lots of mostly vintage but up to classic, cars and bikes driving up a hill. No timing, no competition but plenty of goods sights, sounds and smells, particularly the occasional dose of Castrol R from the motorbikes.

Ner-a-car is for winners. I would have one.

I'm standing by the hedge taking photso and look what I see roll in! Ace. 'Will have to investigate further in a bit' I thought.

Its a Teapot on her head. Apparently.

Monocoque.

Bentleys don't tend to excite me - they chugg a lot - but this was proper 'whirr' blown.

Now, about that cycle car. Various details told me it was a GN.

I took several photos for future reference.

ANyway, also parked in the classic bit were:

Having made my way down the hill I hung out near the start line for 5 minutes. The ladies opposite were having a cup of tea by their gate.

The cars going for the hill have to cross the main access road to get to the start. There's much whistle blowing and Stop/Go board action as all the spectators need to cross there too to get from one side to the other.

to be continued...
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: Kop Hill Climb 2013

Postby Seth » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Across the road is where the 'paddock' is and also the car show/clubs bit, traders, etc. The first thing to catch my eye was this Rapier.

Also and quite significantly this little lot. Since the whole collection is going up for auction in a few weeks time this was to be the last big public showing of all these cars together with the truck, unless one person buys them all.

Norman Dewis was in there taking it easy amongst them. Apparently he was jetting off to the US today.

I meandered a bit randomly and found this sweet thing. One of three built and two remaining, it's Jowett R4

This Ginetta* was a good colour.

Shiny.

Healey best for being UGGERS.

Tony Dron chatting Austin 7s

SInger club line up lead by something with real class.

Mechanically like mine I think but posh inside.

Berkeleys.

Here's the Ner-a-car again. You see? They're brilliant.

Not sure why this Deek was in amongst the vintage cars.

It was only on reviewing this photo that I realised how ridiculously hopeless Trojans look.

Stylish lunch. Period garb is vaguely encouraged among entrants.

What on earth! Its another Healey.

And another Berkeley in a nice bright colour.

There was a big gathering of Silver Ghosts.

This one (two?) had some really interesting history with the body (originally Royal owned) having been removed from one chassis after about 10 years, stored for decades and fitted to this one 30 or 40 years ago. The rear compartment could only be accessed though the door in the back and was separate from the enclosed drivers cab.

Fairthorpe?

Lovely Italia.

cont. P94 .....
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Re: Kop Hill Climb 2013

Postby Seth » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 pm

P.94

More style.

After all of that walking about the lunch break would soon be over so I headed back to the hill to inevitably see all the same cars and bikes as I had in the morning as they each get two runs a day and are put up in chronological order. I'd have to leave before the newer cars would make the ascent.

This guy chugged past very slowly with the steepest bit to come.

Some other cars came past.

Then he came down again having failed to make it up.

Berliet/Curtiss V8.

There were quite a lot of Ts.

Amilcar

And that was pretty much that. Except for

and

and

and

A nice day. Would go again.
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men