• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Not so lucky Shamrock

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Not so lucky Shamrock

Postby I.K.Brunel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Ok, let's set this up.
You've got an American business magnete with a plan - to mass-produce a 2-door sports model, using tried & tested mechanicals and innovative bodywork techniques. And he's going to build it in Ireland.

Yeah, so this is gonna be about aluminium, PRV engines, drug money and shady deals. Whatevs.
RONG!

2 and a bit decades before John Z Delorean managed to make a complete hash of things, William Curtis was busy getting it all wrong.
The plan was, like John Z's sound enough. Make a car that would sell well in the wealthy american markets but which could be produced cheaply in Ireland. The initial plan was to sell in excess of 10,000 units of their luxury sports coupe every year. The car could have a removable hardtop meaning it could be used both as a FHC or open, and would be a rust-resistant glassfibre body on a traditional chassis.
Sounds like a pretty good formula, right?
Well as per all of our favourite 50's vehicle ventures, they managed to completely cock up the execution of the thing.
Engine & running gear were sourced from a Morris Oxford, and the 1500 B-series was not exactly endowed with spritely performance. Add to that design flaws such as jet-age faired bodywork that meant you couldn't change a wheel without major surgery and the gaps in the logic begin to show.

Oh and just one more teensy problem... it was utterly, unmeasurably fuck-ugly....

Image Image

Unsurprisingly, just ten cars were made before they whole shebang went tits up.
Amazingly, of those ten cars, eight still survive.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Re: Not so lucky Shamrock

Postby start » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm

It must have been built in the Northern bit, because abortions are banned in the other bit.
The image of mr American hopping in and finding out that it is a very underpowered "sports car" is grin material.
The worst bit of styling is the front lights and grille, the rest is 50's USA.
1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:04 pm

You mentioned a hardtop. I wondered what t looked like. A bit '58 Ford.

Grille on that one looks more pleasant though and I quite like the rear 3/4 view. PA cresta lights I presume?
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Walter_Bo11ox » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Dear god what a munter. How in gods name did that get off the drawing board, never mind into a factory staffed by Michael Flatleys distant rellies. Amazing!!!

Where'd you find out about that?
Walter_Bo11ox
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby start » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:24 am

1990 Audi 200 turbo Quattro SOLD
1995 Vauxhall Corsa CDX SOLD
Bought 1989 Citroen BX16 TRS
start
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 pm

wow, great find Stuno Start.
10/10 top googling!

Interesting that it was so well-recieved by the tester, despite the rather ill-proportioned bodywork.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men