• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

London to Brighton in very old cars.

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

London to Brighton in very old cars.

Postby Seth » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:53 pm

I got up too early this morning. I always wonder why I do it. I suppose it's a form of masochism, loosing sleep to spend a couple of hours out in a cold November morning watching some very old cars congregate and then clatter, rattle, hiss and whirr their way through a bit of London. Its probably 99% of the same cars taking part every year as well but then since I don't recognise most of them its like a magic rediscovery each time.

I took this photo at about 06:10.

Its a really nice atmosphere as they line up in their various groups through Hyde Park with the Serpentine behind. Some have no lights, some sport original flickering gas lamps and others bow to modernity with flashing bicycle LEDs, which to be honest look ridiculous and are a bit unnecessary.

Annoyingly the coffee van wasn't even open yet when I had arrived and by the time I got back to the startline there was a big queue. By then the commentary team had been jarred into action as well. Chris Serle!

In previous years I have watched the start at Hyde Park Corner and then slowly meandered towards Buckingham Palace, meaning that my photos through the years are all much the same. So this time I headed straight down to the far side of the Palace in time to catch the first cars coming through.

Harrods electric.

I'm sure the leaning helped negotiate this turn.

More leaning, though I'm sure it would have helped if the steered wheels were pointing a bit round the corner as well.

As you can see, I've moved down a bit, along Birdcage Walk towards Parliament Square. I think this photo shows the best tongue action I saw all morning.

More modern cars should have the passengers sitting in front of the driver I reckon.

Parliament Square was a bit chaotic at times.

Oh! Hello!

These cyclists didn't seem to mind having to undertake the slower traffic as it must be such a rare occurrence for them.

This 'modern' Rolls seemed to be cruising around to promote tea and cakes or something.

I'm not sure that this bus had anything to do with the run, though it might have been a tour along some of the route.

SO eventually, about half an hour after the start I reached Westminster Bridge to see if I could take some of those typical L-B run photos with the Houses of Parliament in the background. The pavement was actually pretty busy with photographers and spectators making it a bit trickier than I thought it would be.

Then a Prius parked in the bus lane and disinterred its cargo of press photogs who proceeded to get even more in the way.

There was quite a lot of 'on road' pedestrian nuisance, the chap standing by his little suitcase thing being a bit of a twazzock by suggesting quite loudly that the lady next to him would be alright and should stand her ground as they would just drive round them, as two cars came roaring towards them side by side with the driver of the nearest gesticulating that they should get out of the bloody way! I hope that I show more respect for the brake, steering and handling foibles of 110 year old vehicles.

The less picturesque view from this point showed some more slightly chaotic scenes as the cars on the run mixed with regular traffic at the lights, one broken car was loaded up in to its trailer and two more were being attended to.

I think this might be Andy Green in the passenger seat.

Some more interlopers.

It was nice when you could get a pretty clear shot with minimal junk in the background.

In the beginning there was a car. Then there was more than one. Then there was a drag race from the lights. And it was good.

I had lost most of the feeling in my hands by now so decided to head back across the bridge on the other side.

I think something fell off this, the passenger realising and running back up the road to collect and re-fit whatever it was.

ANother late model Rolls.

And you know the joke about drag racing? Yeah. No joke. For real.

'Autocar' in the middle powers through to win

So that was that. Perfect weather and a great way to spend a couple of hours early on a Sunday.

More shots here: http://s198.photobucket.com/user/sethke/library/Classics%2013/LondonBrighton
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: London to Brighton in very old cars.

Postby Jonny69 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Missed it again this year, as per every year. Enjoyed your photos again this year, however as per every year :)
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men