• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Leyland goes racing at Donington (+ bonus content)

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Leyland goes racing at Donington (+ bonus content)

Postby Seth » Thu May 08, 2014 11:26 am

Sorry everyone. I'm not going to do some massive reportage type of thread of my two day exploit at the Donington Historic as I've already been through that elsewhere. BUt here's various highlights with plenty of Leyland racing content.

Maserati Quattroporte 2.

The interior looked like a wonderous place to be, like the insides of a modernist '70s house.

Sunday's saloon car race for mostly 80s cars was full of tuned up old British chod.

Some paddock action.

Metro interior.

UGGERS Aston.

PONITY

An interesting MGB? Costello spec wheels and grille

This Lotus Cortina was one of 12 works hacks made, and built up to rally specification for Jim Clark to practice in. It had the best drivers bucket seat I've ever seen but I don't have a photo of it. Like a complete armchair/wrap around version of the Microcell (Bond Equipe) seats we've got in the Herald. The best thing about the car is that it has pleasingly not been 'restored' in to a race car and painted white/green

Datsuns.

Purity.

Great colour though I have no idea what colour it actually is.

A Ferrari*

Hey! That ZG looks familiar!

Fair Lady. Two words.

Lovely dash/wheel

More slightly older racing saloons.

An OSCA in the Maserati race, was leisurely bimbling along amongst the faster racing cars but looked very pretty.

Laurels spotted.

That was all on Sunday. On Monday we watched some rallyists for a bit but they were behind a fence so I didn't take any photos.

L. O. L. A. Lola.

PaulW continues to ponder why Mustang (and Falcon) race cars are allowed all kinds of parts that other makes (like Mopar) aren't. Its almost as though the rules are 'fixed' in their favour.

Racing car interior.

Pre-war machinery on track.

The 'big' saloon car race was a walk over for these cars. Yes, the ones that are allowed advantageous parts.

Dodge Dart not as fast. (I did get a photo of it being overtaken at this point by a Mini but it was blurry.

A nice variety of SAABs turned up.

Morgan.

Newsflash. WORLDS GREATEST THRILL is a 2CV.

Last race of the weekend was for expensive noisy cars.

Sunbeam was super fast.

Right, that's it. Glad you could make it. Come again. See you same time same place next year.

http://s198.photobucket.com/user/sethke/library/Classics%2014/DoningtonHistoric/Sunday

http://s198.photobucket.com/user/sethke/library/Classics%2014/DoningtonHistoric/Monday
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Return to Bitter Men