• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Buy car, store car, ??? PROFIT

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Buy car, store car, ??? PROFIT

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Fri May 16, 2014 8:33 pm

My wife bought this sprite almost a decade ago, spent a week enthusiastically dismantling some of it and then got bored. I sort of need the space and some money so I dug it out to try and sell. Trouble is it keeps smiling at me and I felt sorry for the poor thing, so I'm going to try and make the project more viable first - if it was going to get cut up and sold as spare parts I'd sell it to autofive do it myself.

I bet I'm not the only one with this problem..... :lol:

Yeah, it's a "tell your tale of woe" thread. It's about time we had some non chat box discussion around here! :mrgreen:
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Re: Buy car, store car, ??? PROFIT

Postby tone_depear » Fri May 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Ozzy Mandeus wrote: "tell your tale of woe"

EVERY CAR EVAR
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 pm

tone_depear wrote:
Ozzy Mandeus wrote: "tell your tale of woe"

EVERY CAR EVAR

What ^ he ^ said, basically.

2 scenarios are possible:
a) Sell vehicle for a pittance, thereafter it instantly becomes a valuable commodity
b) Use vehicle until it become inoperative, attempt to fix, make a balls-up of it, give up, go to a) above
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Fri May 16, 2014 9:11 pm

My problem is that I have too much space and too little time available (due to having to work to pay for all the space......) so I end up with many broken cars and unfinished (or unstarted) projects which I am unwilling to part with because I wouldn't get much money for them and then wouldn't be able to buy another due to IKB's case a above. (see "I used to own a series landrover")

Proof (if needed) can be seen in the form of the front of a mk1 capri sneaking into shot.
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Fri May 16, 2014 9:25 pm

I could* probably find the time*, but if I did I'd be hampered by lack of skill/knowledge. (see B above)

BAH.
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Fri May 16, 2014 9:48 pm

I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sun May 18, 2014 8:55 am

I don't think city living (and prices) are conducive to having too much space. And I've never seen the point of having more projects on the go than I know I realistically have time to spend working on.

Which is why I have one car, the shell of which is in someone else's barn 250 miles away and for which I had to buy another shed in which to store all the other parts. And that I haven't done an ounce of work towards making it come together yet as the other long term project has taken a longer term than I imagined.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby lowtina » Mon May 19, 2014 10:47 am

I certainly think many, many folk can empathise with this problem. I've been a fan of old cars for a very long time. When I was younger, it was very much a "one in - one out" system which worked very well. However, as I've got older and aquired more space and money, I seem to be completely incapable of moving things on. I have a mk3 cortina estate that I began in 2005. In 2008 it was nearly* finished. I then split up with my wife at the time so work on the cortina came to an abrupt halt. At the same time I was forced to sell my beloved 3 door Cosworth which was a desicion I still regret to this day..... :cry:

Anyway, the estate has gone from place to place aquiring a bit here and loosing a part there. In the meantime many other projects have arrived and departed but most have stayed (SPC, cough, cough). I can't bring myself to part with the poor old bus and it doesn't owe me anything anymore so it may as well stay but when will I find the time to complete it????
lowtina
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Mon May 19, 2014 11:41 am

There is also the time-sucking nature of having other old cars in daily use to consider. Running repairs to the daily fleet have to take priority over restoration repairs to cars that aren't needed for going places in.
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby lowtina » Mon May 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Ozzy Mandeus wrote:There is also the time-sucking nature of having other old cars in daily use to consider. Running repairs to the daily fleet have to take priority over restoration repairs to cars that aren't needed for going places in.

So very true! And it's not even just the "old" cars! My wife's "new" Touran needed a new rear caliper and now has the dreaded "2.0 TDI hot start" issue. Blah!! Oh well, at least my Alfa is ultra reliable (If I could find a sarcastic smilie, I may have even inserted 2 there....).

I have my cosworth engined mk5 Cortina too. Do I spend the time and money to sell her MoTed and finished or break her now and probably make more money?? I can't afford to drive it any more so it has to go somehow.

Even my wife's old passat is now dumped on the drive at a jaunty angle while I replace the clutch. And that's just so I can sell it! :x
lowtina
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Next

Return to Bitter Men