• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Coventry Moto-Fest

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Coventry Moto-Fest

Postby Seth » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 pm

An inaugural event in the centre of Coventry to celebrate everything automotive. And what a good idea it was too! I had kind of fancied going but then when an offer of a ride in my freind's Mustang came up I thought it'd make for a bit of a blast. So early Sunday morning I arrived in West London to meet my steed (and chauffeur.)

Its a Mustang. You can tell because there are horses everywhere.

M40 was nice and clear, the view less so, quite murky as we dropped though the cutting.

We stopped at Oxford services for nourishment and also to meet up with a few other gearheads, who were mostly in German cars.

Actually finding the right bit of the city centre was somewhat of a challenge thanks to half the ring road being closed (for the event), various other town roadworks and not really sufficient signage. We got there eventually and parked in the middle of a shopping square. Here's a peck of a pair of pickeld Pipers.

And a lovely pair of 3 wheelers.

Which wheel drive?

There were a reasonable number of Coventry built cars but not many with clubs, the exceptions being the Sunbeam Alpines and Standards.

DUMPY

What I had not been expecting was a car park, partially under the ring-road, being used for some pretty serious demos of oval cars. All sorts were represented and put through their paces on the very small 'oval' from early cars as were raced in the fifties through to modern day F1 stock cars with many hundred of horsepower Chevy engines. To be honest it was all a bit MENTAL and I hope the H&S bods don't tame it down for next year. The cars were all pitted around the car park.

I had a good chat with this bloke who had this '38/9 Ford, running its appropriate flathead.

TINY CARS.

Here's some of the action. Each group came on and did a couple of slow parade/forming up laps and then went for it!

Small English based cars with tuned sidevalve lumps.

See that car all sideways at the back?

Yeah, it got a bit messy.

Next up were American stockers, all with flathead v8 power I think and all of which seemed to have no regard for retaining any coolant.

Then there were some old style OHV V8 brutes.

I moved round to the other side of the track and caught a last group of modern 6-700hp Chevy powered stock cars. Proper noise/smoke/dust/showboating.

I could have spent all day watching them but there was more to see dotted around the city though I wouldn't make it to everything as the supplied map made mention of a watch museum that was open showing a display of early speedos etc as part of the MotoFest so I was distracted by wandering over to that and talking timepieces for a while (Coventry was a major centre of the watchmaking trade for most of the 19th century)

On the way there I came across the Citroens by the Cathedral. Last time I was stood around there it was a very cold winter day for Mrs_Seth's Masters graduation ceremony in the bitterly cold Catherdral. The weather was a bit more pleasant today.

What is wrong in this photo #1?

CITROEN AVEC BALLOONS (just like the one in the lake promo shots)

After the whole watch thing I went back into the centre general classic areas to see what else was about.

What is wrong in this photo #2?

I'll leave you with those damn Americans, turning up late for every war when the bombing has already happened...

Plenty more photos here: http://s198.photobucket.com/user/sethke/library/Classics%2014/CoventryMotorFest
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Return to Bitter Men