• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

La nouvelle tat de Gary Cox

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: La nouvelle tat de Gary Cox

Postby Jonny69 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Aha, this is the engine you mentioned!

If Ford bearings are anything to go by, hopefully you should be able to get up to +40 which is around 1mm. I'm trying to get my head round how much needs to come off, but unless it's a 0.5mm flat spot on one side, it shouldn't need a whole mm. Fingers crossed on that one. Out of interest, do you know a reliable crank grinder?
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Postby Seth » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:51 am

Well, it is basically 0.5mm off one side so I'm not sure. I'm going to pop up to this place as its not far from home and I need to get the Hillman head skimmed now.

http://www.middlesexreboring.co.uk/
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:10 pm

I took The Simca engine bits up to Middlesex Rebore who did some research and reckoned they could get the necessary undersize bearings for the crank and grind it. But it would be quite a lot of money. Additionally that con rod needed work to make it re-usable. Once other likely costs were added (gaskets, oil pump perhaps etc) this made the likely total cost of sorting this engine out to be even more than quite a lot and probably beyond even GC's economic sense. So the current situation is that I need to speak to the Simca man in the midlands and see if he has any parts/engines lying around that might make this engine re-build more viable.

Watch this space.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 pm

Who is the midlands Simca man?
Is he the man on the Blue Channel with ALL the Simcas?
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Previous

Return to Bitter Men