• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

La nouvelle tat de Gary Cox

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

La nouvelle tat de Gary Cox

Postby Barrett » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:38 am

Not actually having my own car has both good and bad points. Whilst I don't get to enjoy the day-to-day satisfaction of bimbling about in a rubbish old motor, impressing* all the girls, I also don't have to worry about the nasty side effects of actually running the thing, which means I sleep soundly at night instead of lying awake worrying myself sick wondering where I'm going to find a brake master cylinder for a 1954 Earnshaw Diamond which I need to get me to work on Monday (obviously I don't have a job either, but you see what I'm trying to say).
Thus, my life in Scat must be lived vicariously, usually in the company of one of you lot who are generous enough to let me tag along and generally make a nuisance of myself whilst pretending to read directions, etc. So when Mr. G. Cox invited me along on an all-expenses paid luxury trip to collect his new purchase, I leapt at the chance. Unfortunately, said car was about 140 miles away in sunny Dudley, jewel of the West Midlands. Train tickets were booked, a route back was planned and a rendezvous with mega-helpful Midlands-based Autoshiter The Organist was organised. The whole operation was meticulously planned and nothing was left to chance, as you would expect from the highly professional tat-collecting team of Cox & Barrett...

....After waking up only 55 minutes late, I hastily made my way to the station to meet Gary and hopped (literally, there was a 3 foot gap 'tween platform and carriage) onto a train bound for our nation's glorious capital. On Jubilee weekend. Actually, the journey was surprisingly hassle-free and despite the public holiday our fears about OMG JUBILEE CHAOS seemed unfounded. A couple of tube trips and we were at Euston station, where we bagged some seats on our second train, destination: Dudley & Sandwell.
The Organist had promised to pick us up from the station and run us over to the vendor's house, so after we'd alighted there was a brief moment of panic when we realised we had no idea what he looked like. Fortunately, it's usually easy to spot an Autoshiter in a crowd... Yep, he'll be the chap with the battered LHD Renault 14 then...

Handshakes and introductions exchanged in the customary fashion, we piled into the off-white poire and sped off towards deepest Dudley. I've never been in an R14 before, in fact I don't even remember seeing one in the metal, but I'm now happy to report that they have THE most comfortable seats of any car I have ever sat in. Some seriously squidgy foamy excellence in the French tradition; Why don't British buyers insists on such luxury?
Soon enough, we reached the vendor's house and got the first glimpse of our quarry, which allowed for a photo opportunity capturing a sight that hasn't been seen on these shores for many, many years. Can you tell what it is yet?

A rather typical car-buying scenario ensued. I'm sure you're all relatively familiar with this bit. We had a poke around, asked the seller some questions, he answered them. Our rather cursory look around the car served to back up what we'd already gathered from the advert and The Organist's helpful pre-sale inspection; It's a solid, original car that's clearly been well looked after for most of its life, a couple of spots of cosmetic rust - both back doors have started to rot though - but absolutely no serious rot to be seen anywhere that it matters. The car had been laid up from 2005-11 when the current seller bought it and gave it a thorough recommissioning to get it roadworthy, and it's been used regularly since then. Turns out the previous owner lived just down the road from us, in Portslade. A brief test drive, some paperwork being signed and a wad of cash handed over and the deal was done! Mr. G. Cox was now the proud (?) owner of a 1967 Simca 1301 saloon in a rather fetching shade of burgundy.

We set off for the homeward journey, initially following The Organist who led us out of the backwaters and put us on the right track direction-wise. Time for another quick photo of 'R14 seen through window of Simca' before we waved goodbye and went our separate ways...

Even from my position in the passenger seat, I could tell things weren't exactly going smoothly at this point. Every gear change was accompanied by a rather alarming CRUNCH! and a faint cry of desperation from G.C. It turns out that the gear linkage on this LHD, column-shifted barge perhaps wasn't its strongest point.... Other than that, first impressions were good. Sitting up front I was quietly impressed by the amount of leg and headroom in the car, the ultra-slim pillars giving a light, airy feel and the super-comfy brown vinyl bench seats make the cabin really nice place to be. Those seats and the column shift mean you can fit 3 up front - at a pinch - so with just the two of us on board it felt seriously roomy. G.C. reports that the driving position is "pretty good". The dash itself isn't the most inspiring thing to look at, a flat expanse of fake wood veneer held together by exposed phillips-head screws, but the strip speedo - a feature of only the very early 1501s - is a great touch and the minimal switchgear has a nice feel to it, even if the ergonomics are pretty frightful. Most impressive though is the total lack of squeeks and rattles and general air of solidity, a testament to the fact that this is more or less a totally original unmessed with car that has never been in bits.

I'd planned a vague route home sticking mostly to A-roads and passing through some potentially pleasant areas, and after a while -CRUNCH! still not quite got the hang of those gears? ok- we arrived at the rather lovely Stratford-upon-Avon, where we pulled over to get some better photos and have a spot of lunch.
This is a thing that was there that might serve as proof that we were actually were I say we were.

Fuel filler is hidden behind the rear number plate, which makes this car SUPA KEWL

In these rather idyllic surroundings, we really had a chance to take in the car's styling and have a close look at some of the neat little details we'd missed before. It does rather have the look of an 'anycar', there is nothing in particular that points to it being French even, and depending on what angle you look at from it brings to mind Triumph 2000 (around the c-pillar), BMW Neue-Klasse or some forgotten Russian barge - even the SIMCA font on the bonnet and boot lid has a faintly Cyrillic edge to it. From the front end it looks like an enlarged Simca 1100, but I'm sure to most people it is a totally confusing shape; Equal parts familiar and unknown, even (whisper it) somewhat bland, but clearly well-designed with a refreshing lightness of touch. A tall glasshouse on a '60s car usually results in everything below the waistline looking a little shallow, but here it's all perfectly proportioned; Simple, clean lines that easily disguise the rather humble power plant.
Anyway, all that appreciation of form had made us hungry so we wandered through Straford-u-A looking for a suitable eatery. For some reason we elected not to visit this place, despite the fact that it was advertising my two favourite things...

...instead settling for some fish 'n chips. Verdict: mediocre at best, served by a rude man. Luckily I made a proper mess of their toilet though, ha!

We also managed a couple of not particularly exciting spots...

...And got back on our merry way. From this point on the journey was pretty smooth, we headed towards Oxford and joined the M40 heading towards the M25. A quick toilet/ fuel stop and a chance to see the car's best feature in action

At this point it had started to rain pretty heavily, and by the time we hit Sussex the wipers decided they'd had enough and packed up on a helpfully unlit stretch of road... Luckily just before the exit for yet another set of motorway services, so we pulled in and set about fixing* the problem by stopping, having a piss and a fag and hoping it would be all right in a minute. Here we are hard at work really getting to the route of the problem. In fairness, we did actually open the bonnet (front hinged! Excellent!) and start to poke around, but they instantly started working again which was good enough for us.

And that was it! Hardly any drama at all, and we'd just driven a totally unknown 45 year old French car 140-odd miles with only one very minor fault (and several hundred crunchy gear changes) and we had arrived home warm, dry and comfortable, at midnight... So, a 12-hour round trip, then. I honestly can't think of a better way to spend a grey Saturday... And the best part is, I don't have to worry where I'm going to find a replacement brake master cylinder for a 1967 Simca 1301 that I need to get me to work on Monday....

Massive shout-out to The Organist for going and having a poke around the Simca, picking us up from the station and standing around in the cold chatting about shit cars with me whilst Gary was off on his test drive/ driving lesson. Cheers!
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Re: La nouvelle tat de Gary Cox

Postby Seth » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:24 am

Excellent! Top grade Franco-scat. Except for the 'minilites' obviously. I doubt I'd have managed to work that out from the sneak preview shots though I did feel that rear view mirror shot had something a bit Triumph 200 about it. Great mission report as well B_P

I think it was The Organist I overtook on the M40 at night, last autumn I think, when heading on a roundabout mission to pick up a Hillman engine.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby garycox » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 am

GR8 WORK BARRETT!

I quite like the Minilites*

If I can find the correct centre caps though (unlikely) I might put the steels back on.

I think I'm gonna drive it up to Kent today, mainly because I can't be bothered to take the wheels out of the boot and put them in the Maestro.
MINIMUM JOY
garycox
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:16 am

Great write-up and photos. That's lovely, and not what I was expecting at all.

I've not seen one before, apart from this ravaged example, had a hard time ID-ing it from the first couple of shots.

The uggers facelift Niva is a good spot, I haven't seen one since they were newish.
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:44 am

Top purchase. That must be one of the most obscure "mainstream" cars you could buy, it's likely to be the only example at any show.

I do remember seeing them on the road, but not since the early 1980s. They must have been more rust-resistant than the Simca badge would suggest, judging by the condition of Len's one.
Richard
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Excellent work, Brightonians.

I think this purchase instantly propels G.Cox to the upper echelons of Scat-Car ownership.
Pretty, and obscure. And with intermittent wipers (which seem to be a regular fixture in the automotive adventures of Cox & Barrett...)
8-)
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby garycox » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Dodgy clutch slave cylinders also seem to be a regular feature unfortunately.

Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, and last more than a week without breaking again...
MINIMUM JOY
garycox
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Bump for a real thread!

Thought I might post up my findings as I take the engine from this erstwhile Simca apart, unless GC has any objections?
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Right, so the engine in the Simca went knock knock knock at some point between then and now and it was efficiently* repaired* by someone, result being that it started going knock knock knock again within a couple of hundred miles, if memory serves.

So a few weeks ago, this was carefully placed in the dungeon by the Oxford so I could trip over it constantly.

With it still on the floor I managed to get the clutch and flywheel off which would be in the way of bolting it to the engine stand. Clutch looks to be in very good condition. and sits wthin the flywheel. Locating dowels are offset so it can only go on in one position, and the components are such that the driven plate cannot be put in the wrong way round.

Having sorted out bolts and whatnot to enable me to bolt it to the stand I took the crane down there last weekend and went heave ho.

After I took that /\ I realised I had the stand together incorrectly. Don't panic. I sorted that out.

So then I set to, taking various things off so I could do a proper investigation of it all. Water pump came off easy enough.

With the pulley/fan reassembled loosely you can't really see it but it's a quite new looking Quinton Letts Wilson Hazel unit.

I had been a bit bemused by the oil filter arrangement which is a centrifugal device in the front pulley. With the front cover removed it looked like this.

The manual clearly shows a small section O ring to help seal the cover but not that big blackened doughnut thing.

Ah, that;d be because that is all bits of crud that has built up over I presume many years/miles and never cleaned out.

I think there was still sufficient room for the device to work properly without loss of oil pressure but I'm sure things will be better now its clear. Or at least I hope so.

Time was short but I cracked on and managed to get the distributor and cylinder head removed, with manifold/carb still attached to it.

And that is when I found that the bores looked quite good but no. 4 piston had one to two mm of free vertical play, taken up with a 'knock' when the crank was turned. I have to presume that was the one that had previously gone bad and it'll be interesting to see what I find when I turn the lump over and take the sump off....
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:40 pm

The next stage: Sump off.

The excitement got the better of me so I went straight for the problem area. Oh dear, that doesn't look too good.

With a bearing you'd hope to see barely a trace, if any of the yellowy copper metal that normally backs the white metal of the actual bearing surface. There you can see that almost all of the copper has been torn to shreds and disappeared.

The bearing has not 'spun' but the con rod has taken a bit of a battering.

The bearing halves have become mismatched. The bent 'tang' at the left in the photo is supposed to be there - that's what stops the bearing from spinning in its housing. I've lined up the left side of the actual bearing circle but on the right there's a difference. One half has become oval/smaller in diameter.

So what of the crank? This is No 1 big end. All fine and dandy. Well, some light scoring but then I would expect that.

This is No4.

Oh dear. You can see that distinct line across where the two halves of the bearing shell meet.

And sizes? The journals should be nominally around 44.00mm. Here's no 1.

And from top to bottom across No4.

Sadly that half a mm is A LOT in engine terms.where the tolerances are in hundredths of a mm. Basically one half of the crank journal has been buggered up and I don't know if it is savable since it would need a regrind of around 1mm dia smaller and I've no idea if bearings are available that much undersize. :(
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Next

Return to Bitter Men