• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Old Street Scenes

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: Old Street Scenes

Postby I.K.Brunel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Great stuff, Seth.
ploughing through those 'favourites' is going to be my new favorite waste of time I think.
I have seen loads that are relevant to me and my London potterings.
Also makes me think I should stop and take more general street scenes for future posterity as I ramble about time in the course of my work or trundle the streets on my gay bike.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Postby Spottedlaurel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Seth wrote:I've accidentally stumbled across this chaps favourites on flickr. (Almost) all London street scenes through the Scat era.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rollthedice/favorites/page1/?view=lg

I dare say following some of the links to whoever uploaded the photos would also prove fruitful.

Found a Laurel almost immediately when I looked there, and have just started investigating some of those other photostreams. Some of the bus people can be a little funny about non-bus comments left on their photos, but if they are that worried why put them onto such a public place?

I stumbled across someone with a great stash of bus shots from Ipswich 1960s-80s which has been keeping me happy, as that overlaps with my time in/around town there.
Spottedlaurel
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Spottedlaurel wrote: Some of the bus people can be a little funny

Didn't need to go any further than that :lol:
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:14 pm

An interesting archive, thsi image found by searching for 'garage'

http://townarchive.longridgestation.co.uk/

Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby MicraShed » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:56 pm

There are a lot of Preston street scenes on Flickr
Like these of Friargate:

MicraShed
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Whats that up on the right? The tiny thing. Is it Mini? OR something more rubbish?

Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Here are a few I pinched from one of the only good threads on Rods n Sods, which is an 'old street scenes' thread like this one. They all came from people on local 'back in the day' groups on Facebook. Sadly, I've got no idea about the dates, but the cars give you a pretty good idea. They are all from SE London where I grew up - though I moved away from the area last year.

This is Penge East station, my local station as a kid:

The shops are still there. It's difficult to put a good date on this picture because people were still driving around in that chod in the 1980s, but I guess the shine on the cars suggest it's not a knackered 20 year old Cortina, so it must be early 70's. Back when I was a kid the shops were the same. The Station Fruiterers changed hands a few times and closed probably in the late 80's. It was closed for a bit, then became a sandwich shop owned by Frank Bruno's brother which only survived for a few years, then it became of all things a naughty underwear shop painted black. I never saw this shop actually open, despite passing the station every day, and we always thought it was a front for some local crime or laundering going on. The sweet shop in the corner is still there and was owned by Mr Shukla who must be ancient if he's still alive. Next along was a pet shop and a mini market. Both the mini market and pet shop closed down and stayed closed for years, but Mr Shukla opened one of them back up as a Londis, bought the hop in the middle and as far as I know owned all three. I can't remember what the other were originally but one became a chip shop, another became a Threshers and the one on the end was a dry cleaners.

This yard was round the corner and I never really worked out what it was used for. I think it was just derelict and used for parking for the works in the railway arches:

Maythorpe Service Station on Sydenham High Street. Became a Renault dealer for a number of years when I was a kid and then became a Mercedes van dealership. Not been through for a while so I don't know what it is now:

Robin Hood garage with the Robin Hood pub next to it. Historic landmark that goes back several hundred years and helped define the area. Bulldozed last year and is now some very shitty looking flats. Round of applause for the town planning:

Lewisham High Street some time in the 70's IN COLOR. Doesn't actually look much different today:

I'm not actually sure where this is:

The bus says 180 to Lower Sydenham, but the 180 doesn't run the same route any more. You'd think the give-away would be the level crossing, but they changed a lot of level crossings to bridges, underpasses or simply blocked the roads like with Penge East (and the only remaining evidence of the level crossing is the crossing house), or the railway might have been closed during Beeching. I think it might be Plumstead/Woolwich/Charlton direction but even my dad doesn't recognise it.
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Great shots!
I did some work at Penge East a couple of years ago, so interesting to see.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Another one from the same Facebook group this morning. The old gas works at Bell Green, Lower Sydenham. Can't quite make out what that vehicle is at the left hand side, but today that is a very busy stretch of road with people tearing along it like maniacs and overtaking despite it being a 30 limit:

According to someone on the group, there was an explosion at the gas works in about 1975 and there was a huge fireball that blew the windows out all the local houses. Imagine that happening these days!
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

PreviousNext

Return to Bitter Men