• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Princess 2 - 14/12 Lotus ON

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: Austin Morris Princess 2 - Living the Beige Life

Postby Vulgalour » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Today has been another busy day, interrupted by thunder storms.

First thing was to remove the front number plate in order to tidy up the brackets that hold it in place as they're a bit rusty.

Got me thinking about how tidy the front looks without the plate. The bolts for the brackets match the ones for the bumper which is handy as I still haven't found the misplaced bolt. For now, I don't have a number plate on the front but I'm considering fixing it to the air scoop permanently... I'm undecided.

Then it was paint time. Much sanding down to 2000 grit was done, it didn't take terribly long with two of us working on it. Then cutting compound and the polishing mop to see what we could achieve. Ideally, this panel wants another coat of paint for a really great finish, but it'll do for now.

Of course, we couldn't just leave it at that, so the bottom half got done as well.

I reckon that's not too bad, all things considered. Final job of the day was to swap the good lenses into the replacement light cluster after cleaning up the chrome on the casing and refit it along with the bumper to tidy up the back end properly. This job and the big storm rolling in put an end to the day's proceedings.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Postby tone_depear » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:28 pm

I suspect that numberplate would fall foul of DA RULEZ. Does look nice without one though.

There's been some reyt weather today - brightened by how shiny that purple corner is starting to look. I remain a supporter. I wonder if you could get that sort of finish on GRP... and by you, I mean you. I know I couldn't!
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:43 am

I would be happy to share my wisdomz, not sure I'd be up for doing your whole car :P
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:34 pm

BAH. Everyone hates me, etc.
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby garethj » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:40 am

Yes, you can get that finish on a GRP car, I did on my Peerless with Rustoleum. Took about 6 or 7 coats because I thinned it right down to stop orange peel

This is a lot less mess than with spraying, it's just the dribbles from wet & drying the paint

garethj
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:10 pm

That Peerless is lovely.

___

It is time for an update, finally. Unusually for me, there aren't many pictures because we just got stuck into the job and I kinda forgot about the camera being there.

Today being my first bit of time off after starting the new job (yay, new job that pays cash money!) I thought it would be daft not to crack on with a job we have the parts to sort out. Since buying the car, the steering has been somewhat vague, particularly when it comes to going from a straight line to a bent line. I'd been led to believe that this was normal, but after today I think that was probably lies/misunderstanding of the actual problem described. Again, I'm amazed this car had an MoT, every serious problem I encounter has me shocked that someone deemed this car roadworthy mechanically.

So, anyway, the job itself... Track Rod Ends. I'd managed to score the parts just before starting my new job a week ago but hadn't had time to do anything more about it. We'd discovered during pre-MoT checks that there was a good 1 1/2" to 2" play in the front wheels which, coupled with the wandering habit on the motorway and general vagueness of steering at anything other than serious lock, led us to find that the track rod ends were, in actual fact, completely shagged.

First thing was to get them off, especially since we also had to fit a new steering gaiter rubber to the passenger side having already done the driver's side. All of the nuts were pretty solidly seized so we tried the old trick of hammering a slightly smaller socket over what was quite a crusty and slightly round looking nut.

This did not work, instead just making the nut more round when we tried to move it.

Instead, we had to resort to a combination of blow torch, penetrating oil (tip: WD40 should not be sprayed onto a naked flame, fire happens), an angle grinder and the largest Multi Purpose Tool we could find, a 6lb one in this instance. Eventually, it was free. Much heat and spanners were employed to free the other nut and eventually we had it all dismantled as required and the new one ready to go back on, which went much easier than it came off.

Worth noting that while the passenger side was a bit worn, the driver's side could be rattled around as though there were no resistance at all once removed. The rubbers were split and completely useless and the old ends were doing little more than holding the wheels on. It's a wonder I could drive on these at all and no surprise that anything above 50mph for more than 20 miles was hard work.

The other job I did was to remove the crud catchers which have been split, badly repaired and otherwise crap since I got the car. I wanted a good look behind them anyway as in my experience they're never good news on a car of advancing years.

As with the rest of the car, the inner arches have been 'restored' which seems to involved applying primer and overspray to the original paint and not attending to anything but the worst rust. It's all nice and solid with the exception of the bottom of the trailing edge of both front wings, which have trapped mud and rotted through a bit so will need repairing. There's also one small area of corrosion on the inner wing on the passenger side that should be easy enough to get fixed but is directly caused by those plastic rot makers.

I wasn't pleased to discover that the rot has spread from the bottom of the passenger wing on to the leading edge of the outer sill. Again, it's not massively serious, but it has been left unattended for too long and will need a patch. The black underseal/paint has caused more problems than its cured and seems to be applied directly over bare metal in places, particularly the sills, which isn't very good. The underside of the car looks in good order with a good amount of waxoyl all over. I have concerns about the rear of the driver's side sill where there's some obvious filler work, but this could turn out to be similar to the solid-but-ugly repair on the passenger side.

Peeling away the layers of this particular onion, I think I'm the owner of a 'traditionally restored' car. It's a bit daunting, because there's a lot that's been avoided in favour of the appearance of the car that I would have rather seen done right. Happily though, I have a more reliable wage to work with now at least for a few weeks, so I should be able to get the welding and mechanical niggles straightened out. I've also noticed today that the front end is sitting a bit low, but there's no sign of any fluid leaking out so I guess she's just a bit more obviously ready for a re-gas than she was.

In short:
Sort out that leaking tyre, again. Need to refurb the wheel really.
Get tracking done now it's been disturbed.
Price up getting small bits of welding done.
Regas

MoT, Tax and enjoy again.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Well fuck.

On the way to the MoT as well. Chap I ran into was absolute stella about the incident, made sure I was okay, sorted out swapping of details and took photographs at the scene, didn't leave until he was sure I was okay and even let me borrow his 'phone to call my Dad. The woman in the taxi ahead of the chap was less considerate, claimed to have been hit by the van I hit (but no visible damage on the taxi) and even tried to get my policy number out of me after I got home. She also didn't give me any details (had to get them from the van owner) before driving off as quickly as possible.

Happily, apart from a bit of back pain around my shoulders, I'm fine. The car still drives just as beautifully as she did before the crash with one exception; there's a grinding noise at one point of lock on the driver's side. It's very likely I've written the Princess off, there's only a slim chance that I haven't if I'm realistic. If she does get written off it's a very sad end to what has been a very enjoyable car.

This is my first proper accident, and it was caused by a momentary lapse of concentration. Getting stuck in the school run, on a wet day, in stop-start traffic and I didn't notice the traffic that was moving ahead of me had stopped until a second or three too late.

I feel like I've let the side down with this incident.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Re: Austin Morris Princess 2 - 26/09 - RTA, RIP?

Postby I.K.Brunel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Oh dear.
Well, we've all done it (well I have, anyway).
Certainly from the photos it doesn't look too promising, though I suppose anyting is fixable if you are determined enough.
Good that there are no injuries aside from bruised egos.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby xedos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Ouch. I felt that from here :(

Yup, been there
Unhappy Mazda by Lirgnocab, on Flickr

^^ is now looking OK, and I'm useless and have no determination. It's slightly worse than it looks there, I've had to do some bending to make a straighter front panel fit.

Someone with your level of skill and patience should be able to fix that beautiful Princess given time, though I wouldn't want to let an insurance company assess it.. IKB's absolutely right, the worst damage is to your ego.
xedos
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Right... phonecalls, internet support, family and friends have gee'd me up. Yes, she might be assessed as a write off, but no, I'm not giving up. Instead, I'm on the hunt for cheap/affordable parts to put her right. Initial conversations confirm that damage is likely superficial, with the bumper, bonnet and wing making it all look a lot worse than it is.

So, if anyone finds any of the following (really, at any price, but bargain basement best) I'd appreciate a prod about it:

Bonnet
Driver's side wing
Slam panel
Front valance
Sidelight-indicator units (possibly just lenses)
Grille
Quad light surrounds OR Trapezoid lights

I can probably get the bumper straightened, I can definitely do the paint, and I can probably get the majority of the damage put right with effort and hammers. Mechanically, she still seems sound as a pound and there's so much love that I doubt I'm going to be allowed to let her down after this incident. Chin up, march on, fight the good fight.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

PreviousNext

Return to Bitter Men