• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Retro Rides Gathering 2012

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Retro Rides Gathering 2012

Postby Seth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:19 pm

The RR Gathering visited Prescott Hillclimb in Gloucestershire for a second time. We rolled along West on the Friday, arriving at our chosen campsite (rather than the actual show site) in a downpour at around lunchtime. Having eaten something in the in-laws caravan (for they were to be our neighbours for the weekend) and then set up our unit we popped up to the venue for a look see and say hello to a couple of earlyish arrivals. The field was a bit boggy, especially the entrance making us glad we weren't there to be honest. Was good to have a chat with Eddie Ratley and have a proper look at his early Datsun Bluebird.

Anyway, Saturday weather was much better and the afternoon saw a handful of other RR'ers get served tea and cake in the sun at camp_Seth

Wanting to get there quite early on Sunday to make the most of it we rose with sufficient time to shower/eat breakfast/wash and lower the car/pack some lunch. Here is a special SCAT selection of stuff that we saw.

I was taking a photo of the hard-working Bstardchild as I usually try adn capture him with a silly expression on his face but then realised this is quite a 'rubbish' selection of cars.

E30 BMW in a quite red shade of red specially for IKB

Kev's Prarie received its exhaust treatment at the event.

Its hilly there but allows for low angles.

SCRAP IT. Etc.

Nice looking Lada estate.

WAT its all about.

Datsun display was probably my favourite group on the show field.

Unfortunatly taken into the sun but I love the contrasting rear end treatments across this seventies selection.

and the fronts.

This was the little Subaru somewhat crazily imported recently from down under I think.

Very much liked the look of this Mazda RX 4 (?)

There seemed to be a space in this Simca line up, as though perfect for another car to help fill in the missing years.

I think there were more of them earlier on.

Skoda brakes into the dip before the steep hairpin.

Lovely Dolomite pair. That's the couple who live in the self built housetruck in NZ looking at Alolympics stunning orange 2 door Sprint.

Cavs depart.

MK14door's AKKU wagon.

and to finish here's jrevvillug's Imp, after recent engine re-building.

There were probably many more cars that scatters would like but I was suffering a bit from heat and really just kept dashing around the place randomly and so I'm sure I missed plenty.

The weekend was nicely rounded off by another warm evening sat about on our campsite before a final night under canvas and slowly packing up on Monday morning.

RECOMMENDED ****
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: Retro Rides Gathering 2012

Postby I.K.Brunel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am

Nice work!
I think the 'camping elsewhere' option is the way to go, I think all the 'partying' at the actual thing would just make me angry.
Good selection of pics of old cars, particularly like the Mazda, and the wide-wheeled Horizon looks the business (though suspect it's a pretty bleak drive)
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:16 pm

Lovely shots as usual. I don't know where else you would see such a selection of cars. I H8 BLU, etc. My favourite is the Subaru straight from the bush, I think that guy has several odd and old Subarus.

The Mazda's an RX-3.
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 pm

*thumbs up* I really like that old Bluebird.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby Dr Gonzo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:33 pm

Few more, apologies if I'm repeating stuff:

Dr Gonzo
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Spottedlaurel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Leonard Hatred wrote:The Mazda's an RX-3.

Getting closer, it's an RX-2 (piston-engined versions called 616).

Certainly a great variety of stuff there, pleasing to see the Datsuns put on a good show. Shame family things falling at this time of year make it unlikely I'll be able to go.

Did BC get many runs up the hill in his Monza? It was its last outing, sadly for him RRG fell the weekend they rescheduled the trackdays at RAF Marham where he's usually a fixture.
Spottedlaurel
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men