• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Italian does what Italian do.

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Italian does what Italian do.

Postby Spazroller » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:12 pm

So, eBay, boredom (extremely limited) money to burn, long weekend coming, unemployed mechanic son=something stupid in the offing. This time it's the turn of those pasta loving Iveco knocker-upping race of Europeans, and they're greatest* hour.

Exit stage left...

I can't pretend the vendor said it was perfect and forgot to mention any bad vibes, far from it, in actual fact he was refreshingly honest and extremely helpful. It was advertised with problems and in the couple of days between agreeing a deal and collecting it, he'd done loads to try and get it to work properly again when he was a) busy b) about to go on holiday and c) had a new car to play with.
In a nutshell it'd had overheated and kept lobbing it's water out on the way back home from his job so he'd just bought another car (FIAT of course) and drove this hhome topping the water up along the way, seller thinking h/g had gone.
He'd mentioned it spewing water out of the rad and that the temp gauge had been higher than normal (before losing the water) and he'd just given up on it. A plastic pipe had broken at the back of the heater matrix (in the engine bay) and despite forcing it in a bit the bastard came out twice on the way home meaning stopping three or four times to let it cool down then top up again. Doing this just off the M57 wasn't really the greatest place but was marginally safer than the motorway itself.

This time we had broken pipe in a lot better so it was a few miles before it started shitting it's water out again due the 'leaking rad' so we stopped twice more to let it cool down and top up again.

Handily* we did discover we couldn't actually have a reverse gear in a pez station, or anywhere else really. TXT MSGD seller who said there was a knack to this, a knack that perhaps Paul Daniels alone knew how to sort.
So on and nearly home, decided to call at some shops and cleverly parked facing a post. My lad offered to push us back but I suggested that was no fun and 'don't worry, I'll find reverse'. Only I didn't find reverse at all, I merely rolled forward and into the post, much to the amusemt of several nearby people.

Anyhow got it home, bit miffed we couldn't give it a proper Italian test drive but determined to get cracking on the problems.
Reverse gear was the easy bit, there's a sort of cable that runs up the gearstick and is bolted to the side of it on a bracket of sorts. Undid bolt, slid the cable/holder up a bit, bolted it down again and it's working like a good 'un.
Bumper off, time to look at the radiator and the overheating, transpires there was a break in the live to the temp. sensor 'thing' (now fixed) and the bottom hose wasn't put back on properly last time it'd been off. Fan sensor 'thing' knackered, as are two plastic pipes for heater matrix so a trip to the scrapyard tomorrow should see us right for a handful of quids.
We are going to do a compression test on it to but we do think the h/g has NOT gone, so as long as the car hasn't been cooked we should be ok. Obv, it'll want an engine service, antifreeze etc but if it's ok we'll razz round in it for a couple of weeks at least.
Being the Sporting (there's a LOL in itself) it's reasonably well equipped (what a f*cking stupid place to put the electric window switches though!) and seems quite a laugh to drive. More tomorrow/later in the week after the scrapyard visit.
Spazroller
IAN BEALE

Re: Italian does what Italian do.

Postby garethj » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:18 pm

ORSUM! I quite like these little buzz-bombs, if I was in the mood for a constant headache and back strain, I'd be beating a path to your door.

Keep us updated with progress and swearing, please
garethj
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Spazroller » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:00 pm

SOAPY TIT WANK.

Looks like the h/g has gone, compression readings were all over the shop so my lad's whipped the head off this afters and we'll get it pressure/crack tested and skimmed if needs be.
Spazroller
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:54 pm

It looks like an easy engine to work on at least. Tiny engine lost in tiny car. :D
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Spazroller » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:23 pm

He head the head off in no time, we were wondering aimlessly in some horrific Welsh dump at a market and he send me a text saying he'd done it. Some bits (alternator for example) look a right bastard of a job. Local scrapyard shut, others open today but not tomorrow so that particular avenue of fun is closed. Might go to the sublime Furber's yard (Whixhall, Shropshire) on Tuesday for the bits because it's probably the greatest scrapyard in Britain.
Spazroller
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Barrett » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Good stuff, I have an inexplicable soft spot for these things. One of the less shit teachers at school had one in yellow (natch) which was by far the most interesting thing in the school car park most of the time (save for my weird love of the Citroen Xsara "Coupe" when that was first released and one of the staff got one in that weird grimy gold colour. I should probably keep my feelings about that car to myself though, even on this forum)

Did these come with asymmetrical trim in the front bumper, or has one of the bits just fallen out of 99% of surviving examples?
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Advertisement

Postby Spazroller » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:37 pm

It Vibrated Everything Came Off. Probably.
I actually forgot I had one of these before (in yellow oddly enough) which I'd scored for £40 due to HGF. It was before JNR was a mechanic and I didn't have a clue so sold it to my neighbour for a not unhealthy £240 after spending precisely FUCK ALL on it. He fixed it (last time it was done the garage had trapped a pipe or something) then exchanged it for a really shit Vectra and the gearbox knackered up a few days later. I laughed even if he didn't.

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow of the current state of it, me laddo says that because the rocker cover gasket had been leaking things are a 'right bleeding mess' under the bonnet, but I have some 'proper' degreasing fluid, a brush and a jetwash. I can see this bloody car running into more than it's worth money but at least it should all be right when we've done it.
Spazroller
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Spazroller » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Head off and stripped. The oil pipe was a bit stupid (two or three bolts and some wiggling about) but it's off now and the head is ready to be dropped off at an engine centre for checking over and a skim if needed.

Reckon at least one valve needs reseating, the engine place will sort that though I think. Next up (after various bits of engine bay cleaning) is to sort out the broken pipes to the heater matrix, scrapyard or careful plumbing will see that right. Oh, just need to order the h/g set, shouldn't take long to arrive.
Spazroller
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men