• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

My Holiday Scrapbook - Mission Parlez-Vous-Francais? Non.

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

My Holiday Scrapbook - Mission Parlez-Vous-Francais? Non.

Postby Seth » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:22 pm

London, 04:30 Hours. What does the 0 stand for? Oh my god, what am I doing taking this whole combo to a foreign country. Having never ventured abroad in my own car this was all a bit exciting/nerve wracking.

Driving into the lightening sky was pretty cool until we had almost reached Dover, the sun came up and became completely blinding.

Waiting to board the 07:30 ferry,silhouetted by that sun.

Dangerous* ground clearance was actually not found to be a problem, just the tow hitch or trailer jockey wheel making contact on the ramps.

As you can see I had made some suitable modifications to the car. Nice old Lucas yellow headlamp converters which I polished a bit to try and remove some of the lighter scratches.

and an old hard plastic moulded GB plate, found at my mum’s.

It was lovely to see this in my mirror following us out of the port. Dutch registered, I wondered if they’d been over for that recent Citroen fest.

We cruised along with them for a couple of miles, and they seemed to like our combo too.

Unfortunately that level of spotting was not to be maintained over the week away. In fact while stood at the top of the Arc de Triomphe I’d take photos of pretty much anything.

Down the bottom I was gutted to miss capturing the Mk2 Cavalier convertible and only managed these.

Hello Sailor!

Was not expecting to see a Hornet on the Champs Elysee though.

That was the only time we spent in central Paris, much of the time away being to go to Disneyland as a treat for Ickle_Seth.

Some cool looking fake Deco.

One of the parades was ‘Disney Cars and Stars’. I came away hoping that the cars were mostly fake too.

Note I have completely chopped off Mary Poppins’ head here.

Great wobbly panel fit makes me think this is a fibreglass Merc.

Only EVIL people paint flames on their cars.

Hmm, this rat infested Stude may be the real thing though.

Right, enough of that for the moment. The electric hook up stanchions on the campsite light up at night somewhat eerily. Note they combined these with the water supply.

I shall be doing a thread on the blue forum all about the Reims-Geux circuit as I went beyond just the usual ‘pits’ spot. Consider these a sneak preview.

Though obviously I did have to do the usual. Fabulous to finally explore this place as I have seen it in photographs for so many years.

Reims itself is a pretty town/city, apparently much damaged in the first world way a lot was rebuilt in the ‘20s/’30s and so took on the Art Deco style then prevalent.

This old garage was in the shadow of the Cathedral.

They have more recently managed to seamlessly* incorporate modern architecture.

I might have been the only tourist to take a photo of this city centre car park though.

Franco-Hirst Cabs.

Can you tell I was a bit desperate for spots?

This battered/gaffer taped Golf was good though.

Another reason for going to Reims was this place, that Bryn (of R-R/journo fame) told us about, located within walking distance of the centre.

But you’re going to have to wait for more photos as that will take me a while to sort on its own. It was simply amazing though. Here’s the car park for now.

Back to Disney the next day.

Corsa-a-like best for mid bike engine RWD pretend film making doughnuts.

I’d love to know if this was a genuine old Ice Cream truck as it certainly had that look about it but almost everything is fake, and in the film studios bit is even pretending to be fake.

Say NO to disco dancing.

Anyone want to run the plates?

Final spot in this batch (theres a few on Mrs_Seth spot/phone-cam) was British.

Time to head home, pausing to pick up une baguette for lunch from the village boulangerie.

Only thing of ‘worth’ on the motorway was this old 406D chugging along, though I saw a DS Safari heading the opposite way. Other cars seen but not photographed included a #72 ish (lardy spec) Mustang and an Ami 8 Break which was probably best spot of the holiday.

This was taken shortly after the only time I had to jack the car up. On the way back from Reims I noticed we’d lost air pressure in the rear shocks and discovered that the connector on the drivers side shock had loosened. Tightening it up did the trick. But on the way in to the ferry port there was some serious ‘slow down’ ripples in the road and the pipe got knocked or blew out all together as I saw them too late and went a bit quick over them. So the car was sat on the stops as we pulled up. Just had to jack it up and re-fit the pipe/connector which fortunately were all still present though I did have spares in case. Total mileage for the break, including the UK stretches, was just about 900 miles.

The only other issue with the car was the flasher unit that has a bit of a loose connection, is normally fine but played up a bit at one point. Cleaning the connectors and a bit of wiggling got it working perfectly for the rest of the holiday. The fresh engine performed well and coped much better than it would have done before the hi-po tuning on some of the hills.

Back to England with the expected weather welcome.

Museum contents to follow another day.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: My Holiday Scrapbook - Mission Parlez-Vous-Francais? Non

Postby I.K.Brunel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:40 pm

Zut alors! etc. Top continental touring, Seth_Family!

Taxi plate, as requested:
Cartell:
Registration NPK31P
Make PANTHER
Model UNKNOWN

DVLA:
Date of Liability 01 05 2000
Date of First Registration 01 05 1976
Year of Manufacture 1976
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 5700cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLACK
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

Odd.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby garethj » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Looking forward to the rest of the pics.

Do you think the plate from the Panther is the one they used in 101 Dalmations? It was a Panther DeVille and as the film was shot in the UK it's possible the car made it to Disneyland Paris
garethj
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Spottedlaurel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 pm

I went to that museum in Reims back in 1993, pretty good as I recall.

You trumped me by getting that 626 photo, I saw a couple on my last French trip but sadly was unable to get photos of either.
Spottedlaurel
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Paul H » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 pm

Great write-up & a very enjoyable read :)

Btw, how effective are those old Lucas beam deflectors? I've a set for the Amazon, but haven't used them yet, and tbh have been wondering if they are even still legal, or if so, whether it's only in France?
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:44 pm

Paul, I only really did one night time drive but thought the deflectors were excellent. Clearly threw the beam across to the 'pavement' side and so in my view better than using tape/stickers to simply block off some of the light exciting the headlamp. I don't see how they can be illegal unless yellow headlights become illegal and we saw a few other (local) cars with them. I suppose it could become a different issue in other countries though.

I've just posted up my experiences at the Reims-Gueux circuit on the blue if anyone's interested. Fabulous skies made for some of the best photos I feel I've ever taken. :)

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... ead=136035
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Barrett » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:12 am

GR12 Holiday reportage so far. Enjoyed the Reims shots on the Blue channel muchly. Looking forward to seeing what's inside that Musee du merde. Minx looks weirdly great with yellow headlights too!
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Advertisement

Postby Paul H » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:57 am

Seth wrote:Paul, I only really did one night time drive but thought the deflectors were excellent. Clearly threw the beam across to the 'pavement' side and so in my view better than using tape/stickers to simply block off some of the light exciting the headlamp. I don't see how they can be illegal unless yellow headlights become illegal and we saw a few other (local) cars with them. I suppose it could become a different issue in other countries though.

Ah - good to know! My French doesn't extend much beyond 'parlez vous Anglais s'il vous plait?' or 'pouvez vous repetes ca plus lentement s'il vous plait' which wouldn't be especially useful if dealing with grumpy French police...

Seth wrote:I've just posted up my experiences at the Reims-Gueux circuit on the blue if anyone's interested. Fabulous skies made for some of the best photos I feel I've ever taken. :)

Fantastic! Should be an article in one of the high end classic mags :)
Last edited by Paul H on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby garethj » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:30 am

Just fantastic photos on the blue channel, they really capture the atmosphere well
garethj
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:41 am

Glad you enjoyed them.

I gave up trying to edit the photos I took at the museum so have ended up uploading almost all of those I took. So if you're planning on going anytime soon look away now as it will probably spoil it for you a bit. It'll probably take me a couple of posts to get through them all.

The museum is split into approx 50/50 pre and post war automobiles. Then additionally there's a section full of model cars, some commercial vehicles and a bunch of two wheelers. The cars are generally arranged chronologically which makes a quite nice progression as you go along. The set up is fairly boring though, all lined up behind barriers, but I suspect this is to make as much room to fill it with as much tat as possible. Unfortunately it means that you can't necessarily see all around many of the cars. Most have a little post in front with a paragraph or two (in French only) describing the car and its peculiarities.

First thing that caught my attention before even getting past the pay booth was this model, possibly a kit that was for sale? What a great looking machine! Imagine what it would have looked like in real life!

We went to look at the models first. These are quite haphazardly displayed in a variety of cabinets, presumably separated by ownership of the various collections.

Call the cops.

Some great old tin toys.

First 'big' exhibit was this. What is it? SCAR innit. (There's a joke in there somewhere)

A line up of oldies.

Partial Voisin

Amilcar - popular amongst the VSCC crowd I think?

These two are Rosengarts, a make we learnt about only a little while ago when someone of that name wrote a column in a 'local' paper. Having discovered they existed he went and bought one. Based on Austin 7 if I recall right, the coupe looks cool but a little fugly.

First jaw dropper for me was this Panhard Dynamic. Never seen one in the metal before. A really superb colour combo for it.

Note correct number of wipers.

Cyclecar sized, flat twin powered, Sima Violet

A brief postwar intermission was this R16 on a truck.

Hotchkiss, of the type I built a couple of models at one time,

I hadn't realised quite how late Renaults kept the bulkhead positioned radiator.

Also a very late example was this De Dion Bouton.

A Model T like no other.

To end this section, there were some Ovoid cars.

All the brainchild of this chap who was clearly of the opinion that four wheels in a diamond pattern was best.

Those of a technical bent might like to view the steering system of this naked chassis.

Coolest one was definitly this Elipsis

displayed complete with a wire frame.

Right, more later.
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Next

Return to Bitter Men