• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

1999 Skoda Felicia LXi Estate

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

1999 Skoda Felicia LXi Estate

Postby Vulgalour » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:15 pm

Today, I took my brother to go and look at a Skoda his girlfriend had found on Gumtree for £300ish. We went in the Princess and that in itself seemed to say a lot to the vendor. The chap selling the car had bought it from a lady who had left it on her front garden with 6 months tax (that she didn't bother to cash in) and a fair bit of MoT left and was refreshingly honest about the car. It's not without problems, as you'd expect for a car at this price, but it has a full service history and a good amount of original paperwork, is pretty solid all over and while it's clearly had a tough life recently, it still looks clean and solid enough underneath the greb to make us think it's a bit of a bargain.

First thing to do, upon getting it back on my drive while my brother sorts out more permanent insurance for it was to have a good look around. We had of course inspected it on purchase, but you never get a real chance to poke about until you get a car home.

Being an LXi it comes with some neat factory extras. It's likely more factory extras will be sourced to spec this up a bit further.

Both flanks are nice and straight, there's one little ding on the front passenger door, but other than that (and the bits I'll go on to mention) it's pretty good, as you'd want.

At some point, a previous owner has bumped something with the nose.

There's moss under the headlights and inside the indicator units which we need to clean out. But then, the car had been sat under a tree in a garden for six months before going to the garage and getting pressure washed.

Usual Felicia rust spots on the front wings, but perfectly saveable with a bit of effort.

This is the worst part of the car, we think it was reversed into something due to the rust on the arch, the broken light cluster and broken bumper. None of this is serious, but it's a shame it wasn't dealt with when it happened. The light cluster lets a bit of water into the car so will be replaced along with the bumper and the arch will get repaired. The sills are absolutely solid, quite amazing for a 13 year old shed really.

Another common rust spot is the trim on the tailgate, so we'll have to whip that off and get it nipped in the bud. Easy stuff really.

It also has the weirdest dealer plates I've seen. Skoda logo and space for telephone number and garage details, but none of it filled in.

Passenger rear arch also has the usual rust, but again it's not that serious having had a prod at it, the silver paint makes it look far worse than it is. This is another easy fix.

The interior is grubby. Whoever was in the driving seat was possibly a mechanic as there's a good amount of engine oil type grease on the handles and steering wheel. Those air fresheners STINK so they were removed fairly quickly but the interior still smells like a '90s Metrocab.

We took the back seats out completely to remove a lot of pine needles, bits of wood and dirt from the boot area and found that there were sweets and detritus under the rear bench. There were also some cubes of glass which is when we noticed the rear passenger window is a blue tint replacement glass... on a brown tint glass car.

So after vacuuming the back out - we'll go back and give it a proper deep clean later - we decided to tackle the outside of the car which was covered in tiny black spots all over that I thought were tar at first, but are more likely tree sap. By the time we'd done, the car was a different silver as you can see in this picture if you compare the front half with the rear (clean) half.

Arches all got a much needed hose out revealing shiny silver paint in as new condition and no rust. Remarkable really. That's my brother doing the hose pipe work, it was an unpleasant job.

By the time we'd done, the rain set in and the cloths we'd used that were once white weren't anymore. We also took a plastic bristled scrubbing brush to the trim to get all the moss out of the crevices, that took a while.

We wanted to see just how well the paint would come up with the materials to hand, so into the garage the Skoda went. I love this picture, it really demonstrates my love of shite old cars.

Started with this.

Had some chips and very bad scratches on the bonnet to deal with. This is the worst panel on the car for stonechips, scratches and roughness of paint.

Finally ended up with this, before we ran out of time for the day.

So we're going to slog it out tomorrow if the weather holds getting more of the car deep cleaned. Lurking underneath all the detritus is a very solid little economy estate that I swear we paid too little for. For now, my brother is contenting himself with reading through the lovely leatherette folder of paperwork and the treasure we dug out of the car so far.

Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Re: 1999 Skoda Felicia LXi Estate

Postby I.K.Brunel » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:33 pm

That looks surprisingly unrusty.
Unsurprisingly bleak inside though. They really didn't make these any 'better' when they rounded off the edges of the POINTY Fav.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 pm

It is surprisingly unrusty, as we found out when attacking the rust today. I'd also go so far as to say I prefer this shape to the previous shape, I think it looks a bit more grown-up, if that makes sense. The interior is most definitely unremittingly monotone, though we were surprised on cleaning that the insert for the dash binnacle and centre console is navy blue, not black as the dirt engrained there had led us to believe.
_____

Another day, but sadly not another dollar. Still in the honeymoon period with the Skoda, my brother and I are finding it easier to be motivated to continue the mucking out at the moment. One thing we forget to mention was that the car came with a Smurfette amid all the horrible air fresheners, and she was quickly moved on to the towing eye on the back, as is my brother's wont.

There was much cleaning done. Gave the boot plastics a scrub with Stardrops in hot water and a scrubbing brush while the carpet got treated to at least three vacuumings and shampooed twice with Vanish Oxy-clean to get the worst of the stains out. Ideally, this could do with another shampoo to the carpet, but it's fresh and cleaner by far than it was so it'll do until we can get a better product for the job to lift the rust, tree and oil stains out. When finished, all the plastics got a wipe over with Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl. We're missing one corner trim (driver's side) and need to source a replacement slam-panel trim as the one in the car is damaged.

The parcel shelf only needed a vacuum on the bigger portion, the smaller portion was going to be shampooed until I noticed it's missing a lug so we'll be looking for a replacement to that instead.

We also finished off the carpet under the rear bench.

Here you can just about see the difference between the cleaned and shampooed and scrubbed passenger side and the as-was driver's side. Lots and lots of work to get to this level of unremitting greyness.

There's a speck of brightness in the fabric on the seat facings, which I quite like.

The dashboard also got a scrub. I ought to get a picture of that glovebox in action, it's the strangest glovebox design I've encountered and really ought to open up into a cocktail cabinet.

Obviously, all that scrubbing was going to generate a grim bucket. Here is the grim bucket.

Then it was time to give the driver's side the same treatment. It looks like the interior has just had fizzy pop and sweets and popcorn and baby vomit liberally sprayed around. You should've seen the size of the sneeze stain on the windscreen!

We strongly believe Wayne and Waynetta Slob may have owned this Felicia, as evidenced by such delights as the steering wheel.

The driver's seat was likewise Slob-tastic but the pictures don't really demonstrate this until you see the second bucket of grim lurking just in shot.

Eventually, after about 4-5 hours of deep cleaning, the minicab smell is banished and the interior is looking and smelling somewhat more like a new car again.

The rear bench had to be put back in to save space in the house and we suspect it's been peed on at least once by the previous owners' dog/s and/or children and/or elderly relatives. Thankfully, it doesn't smell and the seats are a doddle to get in and out of the car. It looks more cramped than it is back there too, I found it quite comfortable in an upright seating position sort of way, with plenty of head and leg room.

Another big job coming up is the engine bay, which hasn't been touched by us or the garage my brother bought it from. The inner wing rails show how bad this car was before the garage gave it a quick pressure wash.

Eventually, we got a bit bored of cleaning and it being a relatively fair day we turned our attention to the rusty arch with the flap wheel.

Really not that bad. The other arch (picture eaten by camera) is less bad than I was expecting too, though will need a repair patch/careful temporary sculpture to see it looking the best it can. In the meantime, this has been liberally treated to Kurust overnight and will be approached anew tomorrow. Likewise with the tailgate which has, unfortunately, rusted through in a small localised area. We can arrest the development of further rust, but it may need a replacement tailgate as it looks like a tricky repair.

I had taken some pictures of the car with the new boots it swapped with the Polo but the camera ate those too. We found the PCD, centre bore and other important dimensions of the Tarantula alloys on the Polo match the Felicia steels so we swapped on a whim only to find the Tarantulas look better on the Skoda and the Felicia steels look excellent on the Polo. Turn up for the books that as I'd rather fallen out of love with the Tarantula items. Providing the Felicia steels fit the front of the Polo properly (brake calipers are often an issue) I'll be very happy.

I shall finish this update with this moody picture of the Felicia that the camera didn't eat. We stole a number plate light to replace the blown sidelight bulb up front because my bulb kit has gone walkies again.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Today, we haven't done anything on the car because the drive is absolutely rammed full of cars, and if I'm a bit more honest, we just wanted to enjoy a day off from deep cleaning to concentrate on other stuff.

Instead, I got those pictures retaken that the camera ate. As mentioned previously, we've put the VW Tarantula alloys on the Skoda and they look better there than they did on the Polo.

Of course, we also had a quick check of the worst bit of rot on the car which looks far better having been ground back and Kurusted than it did as rusty bubbles and stained silver paint.

I'm of the opinion that the tyres on these alloys are too skinny on the back, but not by much. The diameter of the alloys is the same as the Felicia ones being 13", but the tyres are the next profile down and look just a smidge too small to me.

Unlike the fronts, which are comically undersized being rubber bands. We had to remove the weights from the back of the wheel rim (these will be replaced inside the rim) to clear the tie rod ends, it's a bit tight, but the width of the alloys fits the Felicia nicely and makes it look a bit more sure footed than the steels.

You do have to use your imagination a bit to see what this will look like with proper tyres on. We're going to sort out some nice Skoda centre caps, smart wheel nut covers and get the alloys refurbished either in the current black and red (which matches the rear light clusters nicely), an OEM type silver, or Skoda's signature green. If the car gets lowered, it won't be by much as both myself and my brother's girlfriend think lowering it would make it awkward to live with everyday and it would certainly become more uncomfortable. I already know from experience with the Polo that those super skinny 50 profile front tyres will make the Skoda twitchy and revvy in an unpleasant way, not to mention feel like you're driving on rims without tyres. The Felicia wheels look perhaps a smidge over-tyred on the Polo, but I do like the way they look, even more so when those Skoda badges are replaced with something more suitable for the Polo, likely VW or Wolfsburg crests to match the rest.

Best of all, we now know we can swap wheels between us and if something doesn't work on one car it will probably work on the other. Hmm... three-spoke alloys are cheap at the moment...
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Ha ha! I like that. I'm a big fan of swapping stuff between cars just so they look different. As long as it's not a jetta front end on a gowf. If I win the lottery I plan to buy all the jetta fronted golfs and golf fronted jettas I can find and swap them back. Unfortunately all the jettas will have been scrapped to make jetta-fronted golfs, so I'll only manage about 3 before I lose heart. But it'd give me something to do.

Also, paint it purple!
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:09 pm

I think the plan is to keep the Skoda silver with a few small bits of red detailing and then clean it lots, repeatedly. Found out that the Felicia actually has VW hubs, it must have been the start of VW's meddling, which is why the wheels swap straight over. So, current plans are to get those alloys refurbed and black powdercoated before redoing the red rims, possibly paint the front grille (inside the chrome) red and the grille under the numberplate in black and... that's it really.

I got a drive in it recently and must say I was impressed. It drove like a car that'd done half the mileage this one had with excellent visibility and a real ease of driving. Niggles for me are the dash binnacle is a bit wide to take all the info in at a glance, the seat is too uncomfortable for and I'm the wrong shape for the car; a problem I've had with other cars, like Vauxhalls; so I couldn't get the steering wheel close enough and the pedals far enough away without breaking my back on the seat. I was proved wrong on the feel with those skinny tyres too, it actually handles superbly well even at motorway speeds and isn't horrible on the suspension, though apparently the Kwikfit people a) didn't know what the car was at first, b) didn't know what the alloys were and c) had a right job finding a place to put the weights out of the way of other things they shouldn't catch, like the tie rod ends.

Unfortunately, the Skoda has highlighted how much I have to work to drive the Princess, what with the sloppy gear change and the one or more wheels I have out of balance, particularly at 60mph+. Happily, it's proven to me just how much more comfortable the Princess is for me, especially the squishomatic seats.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby garethj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Excellent work on the cleaning. Get the original wheels back on and you are The Doctor and I claim my five pounds.
garethj
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men