• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Reliants

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Reliants

Postby garethj » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:14 pm

Whilst talking with Barrett over a warm, refreshing soldering iron we got onto the subject of plastic cars. I said that I’d quite like an early Anadol, but sadly the only one in the country isn’t for sale. I bid on a Rebel once but ColeNotDole beat me, judging by how nice it looks now that’s probably for the best. I don’t like the Rebel estate though, only the saloon. A Kitten doesn’t float my boat but I’m sure it’s just as crackpot as the other 4 wheelers.

Some lunchtime surfing today brought me to this Reliant Cipher that I hadn’t heard about on Car & Classic

It’s advertised as an 850cc but it doesn’t quite have an engine or gearbox.

I hit Google and came up with this page, apparently there were 7 or 8 cars made. But the one that I really love is in the middle of this picture, described as a Cipher III Coupe

A bit more reading here on the little convertible. Amazing that one company can produce so many interesting cars, but now all they’re known for is 3 wheelers and if ebay is the judge about 30% of them are yellow.
garethj
IAN McGASKILL

Re: Reliants

Postby I.K.Brunel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Interesting stuff, that's a new one on me.

Reliant Cipher not Robin OFAH Scimitar Princess Anne Autofive etc.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Paul H » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 pm

I.K.Brunel wrote:Interesting stuff, that's a new one on me.

Ditto!

Thinking of this sort of thing, there's also the Liege trials car, that whilst not a Reliant, did use the Reliant engine. Very much in the same ethos as the '50s Dellow.
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:31 pm

That coupe thing certainly looks interesting. I hope it didn't get ruined by receiving a half arsed rear-end.

Looking at this shot there's quite a lot of MX5 in there (with added Marina door handles)

Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men