• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Fittest of the Revival.

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Fittest of the Revival.

Postby Seth » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:50 pm

Did I mention I was going ot the Goodwood Revival? A text message received on the Wednesday immediatly before offered me a ticket for the Friday and while I knew I'd be pushing things in terms of time available (and marital affairs!) I ignored the fact that I should really have been working and decided to go. An early start, to make the most of the day (I'd have to leave Goodwood by about 3) meant a 5:30 alarm. Urgh. I picked up the chap who had offered me the opportunity from Uxbridge at 6:45 and we were down in Sussex a little before 9, the Herald making the journey as quickly as reasonable and keeping up with an E-type admirable when it accelerated into a national speed limit zone without even shifting down a gear.

So six hours to try and do as much as possible at an event where you could spend all weekend and still not see it all. I'm starting here at the end as the photos from the car park were going to be the easiest to sort out. After some amazing experiences at the track I had about 15 minutes to try and cover what is effectively a car show of at least the size of and probably of even greater quality than Classics on the Common at Harpenden. Because it is really a car park (separated from the moderns) and not the focus of the event there are very few people wandering around but those that are are invariable dressed for the occasion. There were also a number of grand picnics taking place...

A few form the nearby trade/auction stalls.

XK Jag.

Ideal for collecting rusty old Italian cars.

I saw this candelabra equipped picnic from a distance away and stomped up to take a photo, realising as I did so that I was going to have an image full of bottom. But I took it anyway.

Right, this is as far from scat as possible really, but how often do you find million+ dollar cars parked up like everyone else's? 250 TdF seemingly race prepped too.

Ooo, err, yes please.

Normal Fulvia

Abnormal Fulvia

GK1

Flaminia

Only the second Multipla I've ever seen.

It was a bit of a Lancia fest really. B24 Spyder.

Bentley picnic was a feast of tweed.

This is more like it. Falcon Caribbean.

Oh, and a Tornado Talisman too.

Peerless.

Lovely Bristol.

I nearly got a great photo of it being looked at by a young airman and his 'gal but she noticed me and pulled him out the way so I could photograph just the car. So once I'd done that I took a photo of them anyway.

Alvis special

Dutch PV van.

These young Belgians were cruising up and down the rows in their Fiat Dino taking photos. I got a thumbs up form them for taking a picture of them while having a drink by the car before I had to go.!

Then on my way out I had to stop to take a photo of this Facel.

I shall sort out some other photos of the event in the coming days I expect and post the ones most Scat worthy here. :)
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: Fittest of the Revival.

Postby Amazo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:54 am

'Seth in Amazo-tastic pun title shocker' :D
Amazo
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Barrett » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Well, now I'm even more jealous. I'll be there next year in my rubbish plastic car, I promise...

For those of you not paying attention at the back, the Jag is an XK150 by Bertone, the Alvis is a TC21 by Graber c.1953, the B isto is one of the very early Touring-bodied cars. I would like them all please.
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Here's a few of the scenery. Before even entering the gate you had to get past these stern looking chaps.

Get your programmes here.

This was the car (and chap on the right) that were responsible for my being there.

There were several of these Alfa Romeo TZs

One for Barretts excellent Morgans that don't look like Morgans thread.

The correct clothing for driving a throbbing mid V8 engined sports car through the paddock.

Smart A40 support car on Dunlop wheels.

OMG! LUV RATLOOK!

This looked like it was probably quite hopeless.

This was the scene by the Silver Arrows pit, making it nigh on impossible to take any decent photos of them.

Er, hang on.

Best real tache I saw.

Pearly kings and queens were out in force. (Surely shome mishtake, Ed)

This little'un was fantastic, just lauding it in an old pram waving as he/she was wheeled about.

Best fake tache.

This is one of I think six Countrymans made to this spec but I can't remember who buy. Cooper? Radford?

it was outside the Go Styla tuning shop.

I wasn't 100% sure but does this photo need the literal caption of 'Billy No-mates'?

Roadworks

Mods outside Tesco's.

BMW showroom

See ya then.

Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Truly excellent.
I love how literally EVERYTHING is done 'in period', even the fake roadworks (because I can see at least a dozen things that are H&S no-no's today)

One day I will make it to this event. One day.
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:08 pm

I.K.Brunel wrote:I love how literally EVERYTHING is done 'in period', even the fake roadworks (because I can see at least a dozen things that are H&S no-no's today)

Yeah, it is pretty amazing. But the atmosphere is really helped by all the visiting punters also being dressed up too. (Well, not all of them but probably 75% or more. Really, those who have not made any effort at all should be embarrassed walking around.) Its great because you can't tell who are the 'actors' and who are just regular visitors. Press bods and car crews are required to be suitably attired as condition of entry.
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am

I went on Saturday with other half and both of us had a great time. The car performed flawlessly too. Looks like I managed to see less than 1/10 of what was there! I think this might be one to do as an expensive weekend camping next time...
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby garethj » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:26 pm

It was epic, I was there on Saturday and passed the red 69 Anglia when we pulled out of the carpark.

The flying display was worth the entrance fee on its own but the racing was absolutely spectacular. The saloon car race in the afternoon had a great dice between some very hot Austin A40s, a Jaguar Mk1 (3.4, the blagger's choice over the 3.8) and a BMW 700. There was also a Tatra 603 there and a Jaguar Mk7, Nash Metropolitan, Volga, Standard 10, MG Magnette and loads of other choice cars. All being driven with proper commitment too.
garethj
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby Macoli » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:09 pm

Excellent photos, Seth. A (female) friend of mine went for the weekend and commented on Faceache that she found it odd attending a race meeting whilst wearing a dress!

A query about the gent in the left of this picture here:
Is it just me, or is there more than a hint of Derek Bell about him?
Macoli
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:12 am

garethj wrote:It was epic, I was there on Saturday and passed the red 69 Anglia when we pulled out of the carpark.

The flying display was worth the entrance fee on its own but the racing was absolutely spectacular. The saloon car race in the afternoon had a great dice between some very hot Austin A40s, a Jaguar Mk1 (3.4, the blagger's choice over the 3.8) and a BMW 700. There was also a Tatra 603 there and a Jaguar Mk7, Nash Metropolitan, Volga, Standard 10, MG Magnette and loads of other choice cars. All being driven with proper commitment too.

Glad you spotted the car! Unfortunately it had turned into a dust bowl at that end of the carpark and because I'd left the windows slightly open, not only was the outside covered, but the inside was full of dust as well :(

But that race with the saloons was fantastic! And in the field it was Rowan Atkinson vs. Tiff Needell in the two Mk VII Jags. You could easily see inside them from trackside and they were still packed with leather and walnut. Amazing stuff!
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Next

Return to Bitter Men