• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Man vs Pavement (SPC content)

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Man vs Pavement (SPC content)

Postby tone_depear » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:44 pm

Any forum dwellers who haven't spent the last few months in a dark cave with their eyes shut and their fingers in their ears will be aware of the trials of my purchase of Ozzy's Lotus TR7 and may even have seen some candid snapshots of it. If you need to catch up, you really ought to have a look here: http://www.moto-scat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54

To place on record my version of events, after ms_tone decided she'd rather be former_ms_tone, I pulled myself out from a pit of darkness with the realisation I could basically do what I want now - including buying an excellent "mid-life-crisis-mobile". I had in mind a dismal MX5 or perhaps a kettley MGF or something. Basically I was after 2 seats and a canvas roof. SO, I had a few beers and a bit of an http://eBay.co.uk trawl, and found a nice* looking Quantum 2+2 soft top, which ABSOLUTELY floated my boat, and posted a link in the chat box. Mr Mandeus suggested what I really want is a plastic 4 seater just like the one that's been not rusting in his yard since A5 got bored of it.

Preparations were made, money changed hands, Ozzy added and engine and that sort of thing, and after much diary consulting I got the train up to pick it up. On picking it up, it burst, and I got a train home again. More money changed hands. Fast forward EXACTLY four weeks...

After a late night arsing about on premier old car forum moto-scat.com, I had a wonderful 5 hours sleep and woke up roughly 90 minutes before my alarm went off.

Untitled by Tony Lloyd, on Flickr HA HA HA, BUSH

Excitedly I check the national rail and highways agency websites, discovering the A1 is shut, and trains are running a restricted service, however National Rail's live departure board suggested that although my train was cancelled, and earlier train heading to Glasgow would get me where I needed to be, and my ticket would be accepted, so I washed, threw some clean clothes on, and drove to the station. (Logistics expert*)

Untitled by Tony Lloyd, on Flickr

The earlier train left at 09:21 so I had plenty of time.

HOWEVER, upon my arrival at Sheffield's best mainline railway station, I found to my mild horror that as well as all services to Newcastle being CANCELLED, my back up trains to Scotland (Via Wakefield, Leeds, York, Durham, Newcastle) were all terminating at Leeds, and no trains were going further north than York.

BALLS! Nice train information lady advised that the "no travel north of York" status was being reviewed hourly, and to check back after 10.

So I had some breakfasts.

Moderately sustained by some grease in a bit of muffin, I checked the nationalrail website on my phone, and found that now they'd revised their previous LIES and were admitting no trains were going past York. BUGGER. So I went home, to bleat and complain on here for a bit, before opening some whisky.

Before the cork was even out of the bottle, I spied a tweet from @nationalrail proclaiming that trains were nw running north of York. HUSSAR! But also FFS, I've just got home. So I drove back to the station.

Praise be! On arriving at the station for the 11:21 (just like the 9:21 but later and actually going where it was supposed to) was NOT cancelled, and WAS going North of Leeds.

Although it was a teeny bit late. And RAMMED.

So I barged my way on ignorantly shoving old ladies out of the way to claim a seat and proceeded to rejoice via the internets using patchy mobile signal.

About 12ish I went for a wee.

And read some of my book, which is about spies and stuff.

25 minutes after it should have done, and more than that after I should have already been there, I arrived at Durham station to be greeted by a relaxed looking Ozzy, replete with plastic car and expert parking ticked avoidance excuse. He kindly drove me to his abode, and filled me with coffee.

Just before 3ish, I set off for the south.

She and I were more than happy pootling along the A1 between 50 and 65, although we were extra nervous and expecting detours via Ripon and Leeds (HORRIBLE) as the A1 was shut cos of all the flooding CHAOS. About a minute before I pulled off the A1, they reopened it, and we ploughed on joyfully on an almost deserted big road of joy.

I made it to Wetherby for only my second Ozzy's Coffee release/drainage break since Durham.

By the time we hit Leeds and the M62 interchange, rush hour was hotting up, but not the SPC, which remained cool as a really boiling hot after 10 minutes in the microwave cucumber, but still not hot by car engine standards.

More time passed, and after more than 2 months of relentless anticipation SPC was safely parked outside Chez Tone. :mrgreen:

HOORAY!

Then I remembered I'd left the Saab in the excruciatingly expensive station car park. So I ran out the house to the bus stop. Without a coat. And it rained a LOT.

£1.40 seemed a bit steep for a quick bus in to town, but it was exactly 10% of the cost of the parking. It was also the wrong bus, and I had to walk all the way across town in the pissing rain with very wet feet. (I really ought to buy some trainers without holes in or something).

And then I drove home. Tomorrow I shall take the SPC to work for everyone to marvel at.

And then I woke up and it was ALL A DREAM.

http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Re: Man vs Weather (SPC content)

Postby Seth » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 pm

Ooh! Co-axial!
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Ozzy Mandeus » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 am

???
Ozzy Mandeus
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:19 am

Horological society-spotters badge for Seth.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:26 am

Superb.
Any man who owns both a watch and a Silly Plastic Car is clearly winning at life (I own neither).
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 am

At least 8/11ths of the content had me chuckling. That's more than 8/10 that is.

Wait, pox, no it's not :geek:
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Still a pleasing amount, I reckon.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Right then. Update TIMEZ.

So, some driving has occurred, accompanied by much grinning, and a few trips to work for maximum "WTF's that" action.

Pointy/Dumpy by Tony Lloyd, on Flickr

The only MAJOR issue so far being that the SUPER LOW slung exhaust, as well as being sub-awesome for speedbump navigating, beaches on the pavement so I can't get on to my driveway. At all. I tried from ALL angles (including the one where I duff the wall up)

So today, I paid a man who took the exhaust silencer off and welded in a bit of straight tube instead.

121003-IMAG0075 by Tony Lloyd, on Flickr
VICTORY

I also put the super awesome front numberplate on.

121003-IMAG0077 by Tony Lloyd, on Flickr

...and set the bait for when the google streetview wombles next comes-a-passin'

121003-IMAG0078 by Tony Lloyd, on Flickr
(OMG TVR DEF)

I also replaced the window winder and other sundry tinkering which I failed to commit sufficiently to memory. The new* exhaust is, of course, blowing like a keen night-lady where it's been welded up, but it only scrapes the floor a tiny bit getting on the drive and it's QUITE SHINY. I might try wrapping some of that exhaust tape stuff round the joins, but it's not the end of the world really and £40 doesn't feel like I've been bummed too badly. In fact, they did say "see how you go" and invite me to bring it back for further remedial work when I picked it up, so they obviously weren't convinced by it's non-blowyness either. I wanted to get it back home anyway to see if it fit on the drive, so now I know it does I can go at it a bit myself. When I'm not at work and that. Oh, and that cover will definitely have blown away by the time I get home from work in the morning.

OH yeah:
IT'S SO COOL. 8-)

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Re: Man vs Pavement (SPC content)

Postby tone_depear » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Went to the scrappy today in the hope of finding a door seal roughly the right size for the SPC.

Lo and behold, I saw a SWB hatch version sat there looking lonely.

I got QUITE excited, but decided not to go mental as I only had a tenner on me. So I liberated it of it's passenger door seal, interior pull handle and surround for the latter.

I should really have taken a "before" shot, but I didn't. However, the passenger side door now has a handle where the cable tie used to be (to open it from the inside), a new seal (which has made no difference) and the speaker is now where it should be instead of dropped in the door pocket with the wires wrapped round the side of the door card.

Victor 98 was very impressed.

You'll notice the lack of surround around the handle. I may have lost it between scrappy and home. Clever.

Anyway, carry on.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men