• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

A modern day daily

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: A modern day daily

Postby garethj » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Hirst is right about the wheel balancing, these alloys have solid centres so not everywhere can balance them.

Yesterday it had 4 new tyres, soon it'll need a tax disc and the annual insurance. These are by far the biggest outlays in ownership but I can't really complain because pretty much every car needs them.

Even if I could get free road tax and cheap classic insurance I'd still need a car that would do 47mpg to equal the 205's economy. And I could also do with it zipping along at 60-80mph smoothly and never breaking down. Sadly nothing exists which does all these things.

As ever, it'll probably be car boredom that forces me to change, but I know I'll have to pay for it.

Seth, I'm sure it's no GTi with its cornering but it's more fun that the Polo I used to have. It's also quite forgiving and easy to feel how much grip you have. A few weeks ago while zipping up the A1M I came to my exit at St Neots, this is one of the more savoury sliproads and you can maintain a good speed around the corner. I'd passed a new Passat half a mile earlier who wrong-footed it behind a truck in the left lane and he caught me up just approaching the slip road. I'm pretty sure the new car's ultimate cornering power is higher but because the Peugeot gives you more feel through the steering it whizzed through the slip road smoothly, not losing much speed. The Passat driver bottled it and went around (as I saw in my mirror) in a series of lurches :?
garethj
IAN McGASKILL

Re: A modern day daily

Postby Jonny69 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm

garethj wrote:The Passat* driver bottled it

*For all those situations where you're driving an old pile and being tailgated by a new car on the straight bits despite doing the speed limit, holding your speed through the bends while the new car behind backs off and then tailgates you again on the next straight.

Bugger.

I can't remember what my point was and I've worded it so badly that it hasn't come across anyway. Maybe instead of thinking of a better way to put it I'll just leave that there and someone with a better edjumaction than me will come along and say "did you mean this...?" and I can say yay or nay.
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Previous

Return to Bitter Men