• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Brazilian Prototypes

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Brazilian Prototypes

Postby Seth » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Not sure if we've already been here but....

The Brazilians sure produced some wacky home market versions of 'normal' cars. That can only mean one thing. A whole load of even sillier prototypes didn't make it as fas as the production process. In this particularly lazy thread, here's a link (and a few photos from) a 7 page gallery of such sillyness.

http://www.carroantigo.com/portugues/conteudo/curio_carros_conceito.htm

There is plenty of text - in Portugese - so those of you more studious than I can surely research some of these automobiles with a bit more depth should you wish to do more than look at the pictures (like I have)
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: Brazilian Prototypes

Postby Hirst » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Astounding stuff! I'll probably generate some content out of this at some point.

Puma had a tie-up with Daihatsu to built the Mini-Puma, essentially a Daihatsu Mira/Cuore/Domino built under licence, with the same 547cc twin-pot. With one minor difference - the body was to be made out of fibreglass! Never happened though, due to massive company debts which were brought on by mismanagement. I imagine a lot of the stories will be along these lines.
Hirst
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Re: Brazilian Prototypes

Postby Jon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:26 pm

This came up in conversation on chat last week; I think garycox found it again after looking at it a while back? I reckon I could easily waste a lot of time looking through it but in fact I managed to find a (personal) holy grail, so it's probably best to quit while I'm ahead:

I'd seen these images on the brown forum a couple of years ago but think they were lost in the 'purge'. The Brazilian connection to the link made me ask on chat if anyone could remember seeing any images of a 3 door J-type Monza estate, then lo' and behold I found them. Can't decide whether the estate shell would have been sourced from GMH in Aus (as Cavalier estates were) or whether the US manufactured the shells of the multiple models they offered? Either way, I have copies of the images, so that's all that matters.
Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men