• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

South Coast Scat day out.

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

South Coast Scat day out.

Postby Seth » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Right then here's the first instalment of the South coast scat day out on (remember) the fourth of November.

The weather driving down to Goodwood was absolutely horrible, with loads of standing water, though this had the amusing side effect of me being able to generally blast along the B roads faster than the Porsche 911 RS 2.7 that was following me. It actually stopped raining by the time I got there and I quickly saw two reprobates waving in my direction. However much I tried to ignore them Messrs Barrett and Gary Cox soon came over. We waited a short while to be joined by MarkBognor from the blue forum. It was most enjoyable to wander round and poke fun at/deeply discuss various of the automobiles that had turned up. The theme was 'Continental Classics' but since numbers were down various others were also dotted about. Here's some of the Scat interest.

'Not the usual blue/yellow one' was the first thought on seeing this Multipla.

Tasty looking Deek.

Pert foren backsides.

This Amazon was hopeless/good.

It was complete with the rare gaffer tape and overspray on the tyre options very few owners originally specified.

But the rarest and most sought after feature in Amazon circles is the wooden wedge to hold the passenger window up.

This was a proper looking Capri.

It was ripe for discussion.

A classic combination of combis.

The Skoda had cleverly made laser cut stainless steel badges to presumably replace the originals. These had been ever so delicately fitted using relatively large self tappers.

Nice rather careworn ripple 2CV van thing.

Much love for the Traction from these quarters but no lust for ownership from me.

I think this chap is saying to himself 'OMGWTFBBQ!'

More good Citroen content.

One minute these SAABs were all lined up and the next they'd naturally fallen into a formation.

I think we must have spent at least five minutes finding loads of things wrong with the styling and general fit and finish of this plastic car.

Then we played 'Identify the tailight while looking like a twonk' with another plastic car.

This was Rivolting. (can you see what I did there?)

A VW with greater Porsche content than most of this model.

Not sold on the frogeye style.

Finally here's Barrett giving the thumbs up to his second favourite car of the day, having realised that he'd only taken four photos while at Goodwood, three of the Skoda and then one of this.

There will now be an intermission. This reasonably replicates the actual day since we were all quite cold enough and were generously invited back to Mark's place for a warming drink.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Re: South Coast Scat day out.

Postby Jonny69 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 am

Similar to the thread on RR but slightly different at the same time. It's like when you buy a product in Comet - it's slightly cheaper than John Lewis, but when you get it home you find the core product has been encheapened slightly so they can claim it's 'exclusive to Comet'.

But I'm happy with that - particularly with the 'tache content given the time of year.
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Barrett » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Nice to see my plan of not bothering to take photos because you'd do a much better job anyway has paid off. Looking forward to part two...
Hoow do I go to my thread ? How do I find my forum ? Howdo I go to the page I am typing?
Barrett
SIR IAN McKELLAN

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Jonny69 wrote: slightly different

Yeah, I've never been one for just copying and pasting threads to different places but there can be overlap sometimes.

Part two will follow at some point.
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Great stuff, I like the shonky Amazon and its raised letter numberplates especially.
What are the TVR's tail lights off of off?
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 pm

Leonard Hatred wrote:What are the TVR's tail lights off of off?

Cavalier MkIII turned through 180 degrees I think...
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 am

Part 2!

From tea at MarkBognors we headed West, in a beige convoy towards Brighton, making sure to obey the sign and not race any horse drawn vehicles along the A27. Rather than going to Barrett's house to point and laugh at the BOND I followed the Meastro to a pub on the outskirts of the town. This unique Jowett was in the car park.

The pub was situated on the A23 London Road, down which once a year for the last 80+ years a bunch of old crocks have driven on their way from London to the coast. It made a pleasant change for me to watch things from this end rather than seeing the start at dawn in Hyde Park.

It was pretty good actually, with an almost constant stream of vet's rolling down the road a few of whom stopped at the pub.

There was a small group of 'jolly' people at the roadside cheering the cars so many of the vehicle's occupants waved back.

GC checks out a Darracq

Standing in one place watching the traffic go past meant that some other interesting cars were spotted as well.

This one stopped, and it took a good 20 minutes before it was going again. The entry numbers are in pretty much chronological order, so the lower the number the older the car.

A modern Rolls Royce, Silver Ghost we guessed.

For a moment I forgot what it was I had been thinking about.

I took this photo as this chap disembarked and a moment later he nearly landed flat on his back as he got his shoe caught in something.

Dutch support crew truck.

I think this belongs to the AA.

A few cars later came this one.

with its own support Landie.

Best to have your passengers sitting in your line of vision facing backwards.

This is a W-7800

Rather spiffing Riley.

Speed!

A good look.

Steering wheels. Pah!

This lady is terrified as she will enter the traffic before the rest of the car.

Ah! Here we go. #001

Mid size family estate dwarfed by Mini.

Yes, he had come all the way.

SS waits to make the turn

Cheat!

A corrugated shed drove past in the other direction.

Good hats.

We were fairly sure these were from foren.

#006 Horsey Horsless

Good brolly holder for inclement weather.

Yeah, so that was that. Lots more photos of cars you won't be able to identify here:

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa65/sethke/Classics%2012/LondonBrighton/

We then retired to Barrett's to poke the Bond, natter and eventually even get around to eating something but I didn't take any photos of that so you'll just have to use your imagination. A top day out!
Not Always Auto

Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men