• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Porsche Long-life

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Porsche Long-life

Postby I.K.Brunel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:32 pm

OK, the 1970's.
After the buoyancy of the 60's things went a bit bleak, and there was lots of doom and gloom that resources, space, progress etc may be about to hit a brick wall. Motor manufacturers looked at ways to keep their 'brand' up should fuel crises become a long term issue.

One unlikely firm to have a bite at this was Porsche with their 1973 concept for an economy car.
The FLA was it's name. But that's a snappy acronym. Proper title: Forschungsprojekt Langzeit Auto. Yeah, even snappier. But it basically means long-life car.

Like it's more glamourous relations the FLA sported a rear-mounted engine. But the comparisons stop there. The 2.5 litre engine produced a miserable 75bhp at 3600rpm, which is most definately un-porsche-like, and coupled to a 3-speed automatic gearbox. Undramatic though these stats may be, the driveline was still innovative with hydraulic tappets, a highly efficient air and oil filtration system, and an inspired cooling system which allowed the car to reach running temperatures quickly. The autobox featured a wear-proof torque converter and a larger than normal oil capacity. The gist being to promote minimum wear by virtue of unstressed components and extended maintainance schedules.

The aim was to produce a car that would comfortably last 20 years / 200,000 miles (remember, 1973: average lifespan was 70k at the outside).
This aim was mirrored by the innovative framework bodywork, over which it was intended that galvanised, recycled and recyclable panels would be fitted.
Styling itself is somewhere between Golf Mk1 & AMC Pacer. But definately un-porsche-like.

And therein lies the rub.
As interesting and innovative as it may have been, the FLA didn't please the brand consultants. And it didn't please the bean-counters who'd rather that buyers had to buy a car more often than 20 years... So this interesting avenue of Porscheness was consigned to history, with the company instead going down the route of increasingly wild 911's and putting their budget efforts into the largely conventional 924...
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Re: Porsche Long-life

Postby Jon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Interesting read there. Despite having been aware of this previously (I thought from one of my more obscure sets of Top Trumps I used to own, though 75bhp/3spd auto just wouldn't have cut the mustard), I knew nothing of the background behind its existence. Do you know if it ever got any body panels boshed on? I assume it still exists, no doubt the star attraction at the Porsche museum or something.
Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 pm

I think that it never actually got 'dressed' - the only clearly recent pic I can find show it still with the bones on display...
http://rus-auto.net/image.php?f=1359dbf ... =520&h=520
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Interesting.

Good to see a recent photo of it as it would have been perhaps the most ironic car ever built if it had ended up on a prototype scrap pile.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 pm

It looks quite "Golf 2" to me. Crossed with a volvo 480 or something. (And obviously with all the panels taken off).
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:26 am

Amazing bit of history, I never knew about that. Around that time, the concept of life cycle assessment (LCA) was being invented. It was definitely in use by, I think, Pepsi or one of the other larger drinks companies who were looking at their packaging and started making interesting environmental discoveries that were not obvious on the face of it. Essentially, the environmental credentials don't stack up for a vehicle like this and LCA highlights it in the resources used, whether the body panels are recycled/recyclable or not. All auto manufacturers use it now, but I wonder if it played a part in the decision-making back then. It would have been an almighty boo-boo to sell it, based on the fact that you're almost certainly looking at a heavier vehicle with worse fuel consumption.
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 pm

That's superb, I'd not heard of it before either.
20 years/200k or more is an easy reality with a lot of 1980s and 1990s cars.
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Amazo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Jon wrote:Interesting read there. Despite having been aware of this previously (I thought from one of my more obscure sets of Top Trumps I used to own, though 75bhp/3spd auto just wouldn't have cut the mustard), I knew nothing of the background behind its existence. Do you know if it ever got any body panels boshed on? I assume it still exists, no doubt the star attraction at the Porsche museum or something.

Oh yeah, it still exists:

Amazo
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men