• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

'98 Maestro - SOLD

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: 1998 Ledbury Maestro "Steve"

Postby MicraShed » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 pm

tone_depear wrote:
MicraShed wrote:1993 1.0 Micra = 47mpg
1999 1.0 Micra = 43mpg

Wasn't there a change in engine post K11 facelift? Like they go from a normal coil to a coil pack thing?

Yes, though I wouldnt have thought that would have made such a difference MPG wise. The later car is slightly heavier though and contains more "safety shit".
MicraShed
IAN BEALE

Postby Vulgalour » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:08 pm

The other day I turned the key in the hope that Steve would start like he usually does; sluggish when cold, but reliably turning over eventually. NnyingnnyingnnyingNO. Clickclick. Nothing. Bumhats.

Dug out the battery charger thinking I was going to be super late while I waited for the completely dead battery to charge when I remembered the similarly sized battery in the Polo. Couldn't really check if the Polo battery was any good and it hadn't been used for a few months, but I stuck it on Steve and gave it a whirl. Joy of joys, the car sprang into life much more willingly than it had been this past week or so and I ended up only being half an hour late for work, which was something of an achievement I think.

Stuck the old battery on charge. After 2 days it still hadn't charged above 3/4 power so I reckon that's completely fubarred. Also, I can't remember when I last saw a white car battery, I thought they were all black now, so it's probably an OLD old battery.

Problems are appearing, probably because I'm making the car work 170 miles at least per week. Still plodding along, obviously, but things to resolve that I know of are:
- Tappets need adjusting.
- Strange minimal wobble/thrum/vibration in the steering wheel that has only appeared after getting all four wheels balanced to remove the wobble I did have. Car goes and stops straight and doesn't pull left or right, so I'm thinking it might be wheel bearing related? I don't know, it's an odd one.
- Occasional clonk from the driver's front suspension, can't reliably recreate the conditions for the clonk.
- lazy indicators when car is cold, normal when it warms up.
- Burning a bit of oil when accelerator is depressed. Most likely worn valve stem seals.
- Minor oil leak from top gasket.
- Bottom trailing corner of driver's door is dissolving and needs cleaning up and repairing.
- Rear driver's arch suffering from dissolving too, possibly aided by me picking at the loose vinyl spat and pulling a bit of rusty arch off with it.
- Coolant is dark brown. This is not as it should be. Thankfully, not consuming any coolant.
- Exhaust related rattle at cold idle. Exhaust blow has sealed itself somehow, but I've gained a rattle to replace it.
- Steering rack gaiter split. Got a replacement ready to fit.
- Rear washer pipe split above headlining so when used, it makes the headlining wet which in turn has probably helped the headlining fabric to come unglued.
- You have to be confident about selecting 2nd gear, if you get it just wrong it jumps out into neutral. This is frustrating in traffic.
- Current top speed with foot on floor, in 5th, going down hill, is an indicated 88mph. 1st gear acceleration is glacial.

In happier news, I've managed to locate a black bonnet and tailgate in better condition than my existing ones, though the bonnet does have a bonnet scoop which I think I shall be keeping for the lols. I don't have any substantial amount of time off over the next two months so putting Steve in the garage for some TLC is going to have to wait and I just have to rely on that A+ unit being a tough old lump as reputation suggests it ought to be. In an ideal world, the Princess would be road legal and I could use her to get to work and back while I spent a few evenings sorting out the Maestro's niggles, but this is not to be right now.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby MicraShed » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Vulgalour wrote:- Tappets need adjusting..

Sounds like a skeleton having a wank in a biscuit tin?
They all do that sir.
MicraShed
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:13 pm

@Micrashed: seems to be a more excited skeleton when cold. Not got around to investigating it due to a complete lack of spare time, funds and enthusiasm, but I shall investigate in a few weeks... maybe.

I've been umming and ahhing about this car and whether or not he's a keeper. At present, I'm in no position to move him on and I think I was suffering from that age old car enthusiast malaise of having a car that was reliable, sturdy and not wanting for much which as we all know is terribly boring. Another problem I was facing was the state of the car having been unable to find the time to wash or vacuum him for at least a month, so today I set about fixing that. Polishes up pretty well, considering how knackered the paint is.

I made a start on the engine bay, but didn't get very far. It's quite respectable under the bonnet and very easy to clean, but today I just wasn't feeling the engine bay cleaning vibe, so I'll do it another day.

While I was under the bonnet, I wanted to find out where the engine codes were so I could work out whether or not I had the good 1275 unit in there. I'm told that the red topped 1275 is the one to have and is the tunable lump, but the numbers would let me know more definitely I think. Are these the numbers I'm looking for?

I've decided that Steve can stay for now. I have to remember that there isn't anything inherently wrong in having a reliable, practical, cheap to run car and that tinkering constantly with a car is not normal these days. Instead, I've been putting my energies into how to improve the car and researching expenses for things like repairing the rear arches (about £50-60 for the panels), refurbishing the wheels (around £150 for powdercoating, much less for paint) and replacement panels (bonnet and tailgate sourced, interior plastics likewise). So we'll stick with him and put my plans to get an A40 Farina on hold for the forseeable. See me use my sensible head!
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby Leonard Hatred » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:04 pm

I approve of the Rover Metro centre caps idea mooted on the brown, steel wheels with centre caps are super cool.
Leonard Hatred
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:20 pm

You may not approve of the proposed wheel colour, which I'm keeping mostly to myself at the moment.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby garycox » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Purple?
MINIMUM JOY
garycox
IAN McGASKILL

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:08 am

Gold?
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Vulgalour » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:20 pm

You're both RONG. I'm going to distract you all from this conversation by posting an important message over on the Princess thread.
Vulgalour
Val Doonican

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Champagne Beige? ;)
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

PreviousNext

Return to Bitter Men