• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

My 2012 Scat spots round-up

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: My 2012 Scat spots round-up

Postby I.K.Brunel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Jon wrote:

Viva HB?
AUGUST 1969 VAUXHALL VIVA 1157cc BRABHAM HB ESTATE SDG498H by Johns Car pictures and scans pages., on Flickr

Based on the protuberunce at the rear...
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Re: My 2012 Scat spots round-up

Postby Jon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Hey IK, I reckon that's a positive ID, therefore it's most likely the thing that was sitting there under a tarp when I lived there during 2003-04. There was a gold Chevette saloon on the road and a red Chevanne with white window blank panels next to CPT, plus that blue saloon but I can't remember whether it was parked on the street or that miserable yard. In writing this, I also can't believe it was just short of 10 years ago I returned to uni for my post grad......

Bit of a round up now from our road trip. Have we had this one yet?

Seems like it'll shortly end up looking a little worse for wear judging by the current state but I suppose someone's enjoying it, at least.

Taking our friends back to the airport 2 hours away gave chance for a final flourish, which is how I spotted this big nose Scania.

Saab of interest for tone I guess but what struck me was the number plate, which although most probably is an NZ registration, looks rather like a Hong Kong font (i.e. the pre-2001 British set up). I think we can all agree that I concern myself way too much with number plates.

On the drive home, Mrs_Jon took control of the camera and I shouted out to her to take some pics when I saw anything interesting. Despite this being a little poor, there's no way of getting a better shot of this house I pass every time I'm up to Auckland with work. Seemingly, these XA/XB/XC Falcon wagons are thought to be almost extinct in NZ but I've seen a fair share of them. Would like to own.

A local lorry which I've always seen whilst driving and sans camera. Not this time, though. Gotcha!

We actually spotted this yellow Merc procession TWICE around Auckland airport but getting a shot proved futile. Imagine our surprise to find them parked up 180km south a couple of hours later! Would love to know the story behind why someone has two and how long they've owned them. Big Dog approves.

After dropping our mates off, we had another couple of friends from the UK come stay the following day for the weekend, since we're that popular*. My mate Paul is a freelance camera operator in that there London, so I briefed him on what was required from sitting in the passenger seat on journeys and gave him the camera. Initially, he missed a few spots since he's a perfectionist and was busy adjusting focus and lining up the shot but I told him to just bosh it on 'P' in this instance, since time is of the essence. Here's his interpretation on Scat:

Early effort. Was concentrating more on the 'old' part rather than the 'crap' element, until he scanned back through my previous shots. Nice roadkill spot, though.

Better.

I requested this one, since it's another failed Aus/Japanese effort. Seemingly bombed as the Nissan Pintara/Ford Corsair (really) in Aus where they were manufactured. The idea was to export to Japan, thus allowing more Japanese manufactured Nissans to be sold in Aus but this never really flourished, despite the incentive of a free stuffed in each Japan-bound one.

Don't actually see many silly cars in our neck of the woods. This is actually very well finished compared to most half-arsed efforts.

Hadn't spotted this before but it was a tip-off from our previous set of mates. Nice one!

THIS MAN IS COOL.

Another passing shot of this legendary (to me) local field of dreams. 'Stock' is constantly changing, or being moved around, so a sign of an enthusiast, I reckon. Poor quality photo but relevant nonetheless.

Again, fuzzy shot but it features a Leyland P76 and Chrysler Alpine, so hopefully forgiveable. Also a Super Minx wagon, two of those slightly uggers Sunbeam Alpine coupés and what looks to me like the remains of a four door version of a 'Christine' Plymouth Fury.

One final proper shot I got a few days ago, whilst cruising New Plymouth for the 'old garages' photo challenge.

Unless I spot something in the next couple of days, consider this THE END.
Jon
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Previous

Return to Bitter Men