• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

Modern Impressionism

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

Re: Modern Impressionism

Postby Amazo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 am

Paul H wrote:no modern estate car gets close to matching an Amazon estate for load lugging ability

Way to dodge the question PH, considering the 'odd choice' I was talking about was a Transit; An Amazon might be commodious, but against a Transit? ;) The Tourneo version would quite a good alternative to an MPV while not feeling like an inferior choice. The MKVI can more easily be spotted in a crowded car park, provided you've not parked near any other white MKVI's. While the Duratorq is refined, I'd never call it silent, and the road noise is a tad on the noisy side; I'd say refinement levels are on a par with an 80's car.

Paul H wrote:Fiat Panda.

I've always liked the look of the outgoing Panda, especially as the styling seems ageless and not at all trying to pander :roll: to past glories (yes I'm looking at you, 500); driving characteristics are meant to be quite good and not masked by leccy doodads. A 100HP would be quite a nice propostion as a daily.
Amazo
IAN McSHANE

Postby Paul H » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 am

Amazo wrote:
Paul H wrote:no modern estate car gets close to matching an Amazon estate for load lugging ability

Way to dodge the question PH, considering the 'odd choice' I was talking about was a Transit; An Amazon might be commodious, but against a Transit? ;) The Tourneo version would quite a good alternative to an MPV while not feeling like an inferior choice. The MKVI can more easily be spotted in a crowded car park, provided you've not parked near any other white MKVI's. While the Duratorq is refined, I'd never call it silent, and the road noise is a tad on the noisy side; I'd say refinement levels are on a par with an 80's car.

Not dodging - just considering the general issue of old vs new; perhaps I should have trimmed down the quote more, so as to have been clearer, especially since it was somewhat of a tangent. It was meant as a contrast & lament since whilst vans (as you point out), and also MPVs etc have moved forwards massively, in some ways, the practicality of estate cars has sadly gone backwards, as they have become more 'lifestyle' rather than family workhorse (I guess that MPVs have taken that mantle in many ways). However, the biggest joke in that category is the estates that are branded as tourers. A somewhat odd choice of name, when compared to what tourer bodywork looked like in the '20s & '30s.....
Paul H
IAN BEALE

Advertisement

Postby tone_depear » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:51 pm

My modern estate is far less practical than most of the large-ish old hatchbacks I've owned. Narrow opening, etc. Although it does have a weird load bay split thing so all your stuff doesn't fly around so much.
I think most manufacturers have binned off large hatchbacks over the years so now your options are LIFESTYLE TOURER, or SPORTS SALOON. Hatchbacks are for golfs and focii. Shame, cos the Xantia/SAAB 9000 etc were fabulous. Even the C5's a saloon now. :(
http://mingebagcitroens.blogspot.co.uk/ - my shit cars, 1998-present.

ImageImage
tone_depear
ORIG. MGF fancier

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Similar experiences for me as you, Seth. All my cars have been '68 or older so I always get a bit of a shock when I drive a 'modern'. Generally it's the poor visibility that I notice first and the small back windows in most newer cars must make it a lot worse. I also cannot get on with large amounts of power assist in brakes. I'm used to a pedal that is rock hard right up at the top of its travel and I cannot get used to a brake where there is so much assist that the level of braking is determined by the pedal position. I've also noticed that disconnected feeling and I have no idea where the limit is on her car or what it would do once breached. I'm too wary to push it that far.
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:23 pm

My last journey in the Yaris was alone, having dropped the American off at the Airport. I gave it a bit more stick. It was a bit nippier in 2nd than previously but I still failed to induce any understeer and, as Jonny says, was a bit wary 'cos I reckoned it would just go straight on, not ideal on a long curved motroway slip road without much 'extra' road. Ho hum. Might be another decade before I get so much experience in a modern and chances are it could be something made around now.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Previous

Return to Bitter Men