• Advertisement
Welcome! If you can see a big advert here, you're not logged in. Log in, or if you're not registered, register, and then log in, and the big ol' advert will disappear. (Subject to admin getting the settings right)

An even smaller event - the work classic car day

Where the lost, lonely and mentally ill can now be found chatting about MISERABLE motor vehicles. No O/T posts.

An even smaller event - the work classic car day

Postby Jonny69 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:44 pm

This is the only classic car event I've "attended" this year. I say "attended" because it was at work so it probably doesn't count, because I just drove to where I normally drive to in the car I normally drive in. Anyway, we managed to convince colleagues to bring in a small selection of cars, a motorbike and a vintage bicycle for a lunchtime show and shine. Which was actually quite fun.

First up; the bike: a 1925 Triumph 500cc single. This is a truly fantastic piece of machinery with the throttle controlled by two levers on the handlebars - one for the air and the other for the fuel. It has a total loss oiling system which you have to periodically pump manually to get oil round the bearings. He rode it in 4 miles:

Very tidy early 70's Mini with a custom interior:

"The Beast", a Herald-based kit car with Triumph straight 6. I forget what it's called, but the styling is based on a particularly ugly Ferrari and this recreation is a lot prettier. It's quite fun to be in, too:

Pretty tidy Mini Moke and accompanying interior, or lack of:

1938 Marsden Sunbeam bicycle:

Split-screen Morris Minor 4-door has been treated to a nice restoration and a very nice original leather interior:

The 1500 and the Midget are both owned by the same guy. Not entirely sure how he got both in to work on the same day, but we have been known to use the work carpark as classic car storage, accidentally* of course:

Mine. I wasn't sure if I was going to get this running in time, or if it was even going to run, but I had a last-minute crack at it last night. Adapted exhaust, bolted the last few things on, roughly timed it and it fired up and appeared to drive ok. I gave it a few tweaks and a wash this morning and it seems to be fine:

And and all-standard Austin 1300. A bit wobbly looking in places, but well loved and is regularly in the carpark:

Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Re: An even smaller event - the work classic car day

Postby Seth » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Looks like a better way to spend a lunch hour than sitting in front of the internet :)

I remember back when I ha a proper job and every day there'd be a few interesting cars in the car park. Riley RM, MOrris Oxford (not mine) '55 Buick, occasionally an AUstin 7 or similar, Reliant Scmitar, home brew turbo charged MG Midget etc.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:17 am

That sounds cool, where was that then?
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby I.K.Brunel » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 pm

Nice turn-out. What sort of proportion of the total workplace populace does this represent?
Not sure I have encountered any other 'car guys' at my work, but maybe that's a 'middle of london' type of thing?
I.K.Brunel
GAFFER

Advertisement

Postby Jonny69 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:23 am

In terms of number of cars present to number of employees, that's about 1%, but probably not more than half drive to work. There were some cars that didn't get done in time and people who didn't know about it. This is the first one, too, so hopefully we'll get more cars next time! There are some proper chod hoggers working here, seems to be the nature of working in science. There are a couple of really hanging Heralds parked up regularly, one of the students has a beat up Mini that I often see 4-up on the way in and there's a lad with a very straight early Ford Orion. The levels of IKBweasel pink and blue paintwork is also amazing. I really ought to go out for a wander with the camera one lunchtime.
Jonny69
IAN McSHANE

Advertisement

Postby Seth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:24 am

Jonny69 wrote:That sounds cool, where was that then?

The fastening (rivet) manufacturer in Welwyn Garden City that sponsored me through uni, (including two 'gap' years) gave me a job at the end of it then made me redundant 18 months later.

At the next place of work (a manufacturer of deep draw machines, and components made by that method, who made me redundant after another 18 months) I think the only old thing was an Aerial square four that was being restored by the tool room manager.
Not Always Auto

Rootes built Cortinas under licence and just changed the badging.
Seth
IAN DURY

Advertisement

Return to Bitter Men